1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got back from the dealership - Warranty question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MisterRed, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MisterRed

MisterRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just got back from the dealership to finish off paperwork prior to the delivery of my Blizzard White/Dark grey V with navigation.

The Finance Manager offered a warranty that I personally haven't read about on Priuschat. For $1,895.00 less 10%, along with the Premium service contract, they offered tires for life as long as I had the car serviced at the dealership. Anyone come across this type of warranty, if so, did you take advantage of this opportunity?

Car should be here any day now.

TIA,

Dave

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would be extremely rare that this would be financially good for you.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO major ripoff. Premium service contract? The car only needs oil & filter changes. If you agree to this you'll be paying for those free tires many times over.

4. ToyotaPartsBarn

ToyotaPartsBarn Parts Master

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed

5. MisterRed

MisterRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. That was my gut reaction. The amount of service visits certainly doesn't add up to $1,895.00 even with tires.

6. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What???

30K, 60K, 90K... and so on maintenances (included in the premium service) costs on average $500 each!

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you are paying anything close to $500 for those, you are getting ripped off big time.

Tom

8. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You'll have a hard time convincing "someone" on this topic.....particularly one that already paid for it! :rolleyes:

Some people are just too stuck on thinking these 30,000 "services" actually get everything done listed.

Some even think if you bring your car in every 30k for the dealer service, you'll get more money for it when it's time to sell. :p

9. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HAHAHA! Now, all we need is ten more people to confirm for this guy to believe!

10. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for you for asking before buying. Others buy first, ask later, defend to the end.

11. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, not wasting my time addressing your comments.... not worth it, I would rather talk to my hand...

12. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, tell that to the dealers which I recently called and asked the cost of those services... about 15 of them (yes Fifteen) in the places I drive... IN, IL, and WI...

I guess, it's a Midwest rip-off :D

13. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It just means they're all united in ripping people off.

14. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I guess I was one of those who succumbed to the deal...
    I used this as a comparison. I have the prepaid Maintenance. Was for 100,000 Miles. So it covered all the oil changes and any scheduled maintenance in the manual, for 1080.00.

When I calculated what the cost for those services were based upon what I would be charged on a per service basis, it comes out to more for the 100,000 miles. So that's why I opted for it. It also includes wiper replacements, and 15,30,45,60 etc thousand mile services.

I based my decision on my prior Hybrid (Honda Civic) and what I paid over the 36 months and it was more than the 1080.00 I prepaid on the Toyota..

I think it all depends on the cost the dealer is charging...some rake us through the coals more than another...I did NOT take the extended warranty though....I feel that was just a ripoff! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent! I'm buying the prepaid service as well. I did the entire math and called several regional dealers in 3 states I often visit to get quoted on different kinds of maintenance covered by the prepaid service and I came to the conclusion that it is a very good deal in the area I live. I'm sure there are regional differences and it does not make sense for everyone to have it, but it certainly does for me. But even if it was not that much great deal financially speaking, just the convenience of having your car taking care of every time it needs with the right and recommended maintenance schedule plus the benefits of better resale value in the end are priceless...

Besides… I love visiting my dealer... they've got a great playground for my daughters... so, that's another big plus for me because I can use “maintenance time†to play with them…

16. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just had the 15K service for my Highlander Hybrid (less the alignment). It was a little over $100. Add in synthetic for the Prius and an alignment and I can't see this being more than $200.

17. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I said 30K, 60K, 90K... etc... not 15K?

and again, don't tell me, tell those 15 dealers I called....

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From a separate thread:
    Originally Posted by rrolff [​IMG]
    It seems I've read about 30K 60K services (cost more), but looking at the maintenance guide, it appears really all you need to do is oil changes (5K or 10K depending on where the Prius is in the world - or if you just are OK with running 10K), tire rotations (5K), and a few filter cleans - this through 100K miles...

Am I missing something???? No transmission fluid swap?

ADDED:

Engine and cabin air filters are replaced also at 30K.

Otherwise you can look forward to replacing the inverter and radiator coolant at 100K and the spark plugs at 120K miles.

So there are really no major services on the Prius - there are inspections - but in general, you get oil/filter every 5K or 10K, and tires every 5K (or whatever - I believe the tire warranty I got stated 7.5K rotations).

19. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But even if it was not that much great deal financially speaking, just the convenience of having your car taking care of every time it needs with the right and recommended maintenance schedule plus the benefits of better resale value in the end are priceless...

Besides… I love visiting my dealer... they've got a great playground for my daughters... so, that's another big plus for me because I can use “maintenance time†to play with them… [/QUOTE]

Now that's completely fair as far as convenience. Only you can determine worth in the way of convenience. It'll never make "dollars sense", but convenience sense....to some it may.

Better resale value? Puhlease. Do you really think the dealer is going to give you more because they put 55 gallon no-name brand slop in your cranckcase? They should give you less!

If you gotta take your kids to a car dealer to play with them, you may need to move to a neighborhood with a park!

I'll say this much for you, you'd be good in the military, the enemy would never get you to admit anything!

20. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Triumph1,

I said I was done chatting with you, how much clear does it have to be? As soon as I noticed it was you respond to me as I started reading
    my own words in the beginning of the post, I just went... :lalala:

So you totallly wasted your time responding to it whatever it was...

I'm pretty good on ignoring people and you are certainly not a difficult one to let it pass unnoticed.