1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got my Barcelona Red Pkg #2 -- Avg 54 MPG on the 100 mile drive home!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bengarland, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bengarland

bengarland Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After being on a waiting list for 3 weeks, we were getting nowhere. Then I got a tip here on PC that a dealer 2 hours away has a red #2 coming in. I called them to get the details, but since red wasn't on our top choice of colors, I declined.

Then 3 days later, I decided I wanted it after all. Only it had been "sold".

Well, it turns out that the guy who promised to buy it backed out when it came down to business, so the salesman called me again. And I bought it!

My gf and I drove down from Raleigh to Griffin Toyota in Hamlet, NC last night and signed the deal. We paid $26,700 out the door (MSRP Package 2 + Floor/Cargo Mats + Tax, Tag, etc + $995 Dealer Fee that includes free oil changes [yeah, I know, but what can you do]). It had only 6 miles on the odometer. Yay!

We then added a $1300 Master Tech Ultra warranty, for a total of $28,000. The dealer said they recommend this warranty over Toyota's own extended warranty because it covers all of the same things (yes even the hybrid parts), plus you can use it at any dealer (GM, Ford, etc, although I imagine that might be difficult for a hybrid system failure of some sort). It's also good in the USA and Canada, which will be important for our 2010, 20k mile 10 month road trip adventure. I figure it is worth the peace of mind during that type of trip.

Anyway, we averaged 54 MPG on the 100 mile trip home (an elevation change from 330 ft to 440 ft!). Definitely better than what I've read here... some people are saying "Don't expect over 45 MPG in the first 5,000 miles" -- WHY? This obviously isn't true.

We are happy with the experience, and the dealer was very nice (much much nicer than the dealer here in Raleigh that we talked to).

LOVE the Prius!!!

Ben

2. Ray Monroe

Ray Monroe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ben,

Congrats on your new auto. I bet that you will grow to like it even more than you do now. Keep us posted.

Ray

3. FrankZ

FrankZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats! I picked up my new Seaside Pearl #5 yesterday and I too have seen better MPG than I expected right away. I'm very happy with everything so far.

4. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats, but I would offer some advice, you need to consider, yeah consider about that warranty deal, check out the facts, you have 30 days to get your money back. Here is why, that is a dealer warranty, meaning that dealer is responsible for that warranty, no one else, except the warranty company.

So, if you need to use the warranty, it could mean that another dealer will not accept it, even with a phone call, so you would have to pay out of pocket, and then try to get the warranty company to pay you, when you use the warranty.

I've seen too many examples of how bad that can be, plus, if the Warranty Company goes bankrupt, you lost your warranty, and that does and did happen not to long ago, leaving a lot of people without warranty or way to get any of their money back.

Just something to think about, the Toyota Warranty sold here is a Toyota Warranty, $990, good at all Toyota Dealers, and no out of pocket expense, except whatever your deductable is, if any.

5. lfwintx

lfwintx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Congratulations! I'm waiting on a package #3 in Barcelona Red, so I think you made a great color choice. :)

6. traugu

traugu Rebel Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations! I am hoping to get mine within the next few days (should be arriving b/w the 14th and 18th), and I can't wait to share in the excitement that you're feeling!

Best of luck!

7. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Waiting on mine, but I know I won't get that kind of MPG's on my way home...I only live about a mile from the dealership. Of course, I could find a few "shortcuts"!

8. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear of another NC Prius! Congratulations! I'm not surprised at our good initial mileage. It's pretty flat terrain down your way I plus iakll bet you used a moderate foot trying for the mpg's. I promise you'll love it more and more. Have fun!

9. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please excuse the typo's - I'm still getting used to typing with my thumbs on this BlackBerry!