1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got the brake light recall done...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev1000000, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Ok, so i took my beloved Prius in today to get an oil changed the Brake Light recall thing done.

Now, before i got this done, my brakes were EXTREMELY sensitive, and i loved it!!

Now, my brakes are really insensitive. It takes almost half way down for the brake lights to actually turn on and have the car start braking. I almost got into an accident because of this.

I do NOT like this at all. Is it supposed to be like this, or is something wrong?

Anyone else get this done and experience this?

Any help or info is appreciated! :)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not supposed to be like that, I think they need to be adjusted if it really takes that much of a depression just for the lights to come on.

I noticed absolutely no difference in fuctioning/sensitivity of my brakes after the recall.

3. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

ugh, i really dont feel like going back to the dealer :(

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :idea: If my memory serves me correctly, the brake light switch is mounted on the brake pedal mechanism (under the dash but more or less in the open) and its "sensitivity" (the point at which the brake lights are activated) is easily adjusted by the mechanic. Sounds as if your installing mechanic didn't adjust it correctly.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I would go back, tell them you were almost in an accident, and to check it VERY carefully. I LOVE the quick brakes and I would not accept anything less.

6. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kev1000000,

This is exactly why I am hesitant about taking my Prius in for the brake and Nav recall. I fear they will screw something up, as they have before. I know I have to do it at some point.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

TAKE IT BACK! DO IT NOW! AND YELL AT THEM. sorry for yelling but it's your butt that they put in danger by not doing it right. I'd hand them a letter stating that there tech endangered your life and I'd CC Toyota head office about it also and I'd do that with the service manage in attendance not the little rookie service writer. Jezze this sort of stuff just buggs the H out of me. Simple and they botch it. Did the tech not road test the car, or at least drive it out of his/her service bay and not realize something was not right! Now for my best guess is that they some how disconnected the sensor for the regen that's on the brake pedal.

8. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Well im takin it in today, ill update you guys and let you know how it goes...

Thanks for the suggestions!

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man,I agree with everybody here,Take It Back! There is no reason for a stupid tech to give the rest of us honest ones a bad rep. And for those not satisfied with your dealer or tech,maybe find a new one. Ask questions of other Prius owners in your area. At some point in time,you will always have to go back,might as well be comfortable with whomever you pick.

10. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Wth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, i just went, and now im back..

I told the guy (not the tech, the system is stupid. You explain your problem to the secretary guy, he puts whatever you said in a 5 word scentence and they try to fix it off of that) that my brakes became EXTREMELY insensitive after the recall.

20 minutes passes and i see them drive out my car. I wasnt sure weather to be excited it was so fast, or afraid. Well, i read the receipt sheet and it says on there "brakes feel fine, recall does not affect brakes"

:|

Wth?

ANY Prius owner can tell you that the prius is more sensitive than other cars because of the regen. It feels now that it doesnt even regen, and only starts to brake after the pads catch the wheels. The brake light only comes on after about half way depressed! It might feel ok to the tech guys who never drove a prius, but after driving mine for 15k miles and then going to this is HORRIBLE!!

What the hell am i supposed to tell them? Apparently telling them my brakes are insensitive does nothing. I cant speak directly with the tech guys, and there isnt really another dealer that is close to me. I really wish i never got this stupid recall done. Im definitley regretting it now :(

Any suggestions?

11. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

I never got that recall notice. Did everyone get it and if I did not, what should I do?

12. kam

kam New Member

I'm probably completely wrong but I was under the impression that the brake light switch, although attached to the brake pedal, does not actually change the functioning of the brakes. There is a method to change its sensitivity but that it's only to adjust how much brake pedal pressure turns on the brake lights, not the sensitivity of the brakes themselves.

Is this incorrect?

13. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ it probably is correct but they did something to my brakes, i can gaurantee it...

I use to LOVE the quick brakes, and now, i feel like im going to hit everything in front of me because of how unresponsive they are. Its horrible, and they toyota tech's claim "brakes feel fine"

14. Frank Hudon

Rick correct me if I'm wrong but if the brake pedal has to go to half travel before the brake lights come on, the feed for the regen computer to start working is probably not getting a power feed from the brake light circuit. Normally the brake lights come on with about 3/4" of pedal depression. This is needed to cancel the cruise control and I'll bet money that it is what also triggers regen. Kev if your slightly mechanically inclined get on the floor and have a look up under the dash and see how much clearance you have from the pedal to the brake light switch stem. There should be non. I just went and looked and if you move the brake pedal 3/4" the brake pump starts. Signaling that the brake lights are on. The brake light switch is a silver coloured cylinder pointing down at an angle and has a nut holding it in adjustment with a stem that protudes to make contact with the brake pedal arm. keep us informed.

15. mspencer

mspencer New Member

What does your consumption screen look like? If regen is truly disabled, you should be getting no car-shaped leaves on your consumption screen.

Bring THAT to the dealer's attention, if it's true.

--Spence
    (still not a Prius owner -- can't afford it just yet)

16. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kev and Frank,I am still at work but I am looking into the regen system. It has been a while since attended school and with the fact the Prius is generally trouble free,when a new problem does arrive I need to refresh my memory. Frank,you are correct in the location and adjustment of the brake light switch. Another problem that could occur is that you would have to push the pedal farther down to start the Prius and also to cancel the cruise.

17. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok here is what I believe and is only my opinion. :) The system is a mix of brake by wire and hydraulics. There is a Brake Pedal Stroke Sensor and Stop light Switch at the pedal. The Stroke Sensor tells the Skid Control ECU how far the brake pedal has been pushed down.The Brake Light Switch sends a separate signal that the pedal has been depressed. Together with the Master Cylinder Pressure Switch,the Skid Control ECU calculates how much hydraulic force to use based on the drivers input and the calulated regen brake force. Hydraulic brake force=brake force required by driver - regen brake force. So in my opinion,if the brake switch is miss adjust to far,the Skid Control ECU will not see the pedal depressed even tho a stroke signal is coming in.As such you are relying on hydraulic braking only until you have pressed the pedal far enough to activate the stop light switch.. Also I think I remember if you are coasting, the MFD is not showing regen until you use the brake. So if Kev is driving and pushing the pedal normally and the regen flow does not occur,that would even more point to the stop light switch in my view.And that is supossidly the only thing changed. So the switch needs to be adjusted per the manual. Any counter points in the crowd? :roll:

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Try this five word description fo the problem:

FIX IT OR I'LL SUE!

Call the Toyta 800 number and tell them you want a replacement car until the dealer fixes yours, since yours is a safety hazard and you don't even want to drive it to the dealer. I bet you get a call back fast.

There is no excuse for this treatment of you. If you don't want to grandstand, ask to talk to the owner of the dealership, since it's HIS insurance claim you will be making when you rear-end someone. Again, I bet you get a different attitude.

Then, find the next closest dealer. This one's a loser.

19. Frank Hudon

I would agree with Rick as the switch was the only thing changed the whole thing points to a miss adjusted switch.

20. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Rick ill try that out, i think thats the exact problem, thank you VERY VERY much man, i REALLY appreciate it :)