1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got the business complex owners to install EV chargers!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by F8L, Feb 27, 2013.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After making a simple inquiry less than a month ago, I will now be able to charge at work. Five new EV charge stations will be installed in our business complex and it cost very little for the property owners thanks to the grant and help from Clipper Creek chargers.

I'm so stoked!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will the charging be free?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah. I urged them to install the hardware to charge for charging. Our building is directly adjacent to a large parking lot for a county bus station. I didn't think the property owners would be happy with bus riders charging their cars all day while tenants of our building were left out. Regardless, I am one of the first people at work and shouldn't have a problem getting a quick early morning charge then parking somewhere else so a real EV can use the stations.

I'm excited by the prospect because only getting a single charge with a 100 mile round trip commute is pretty underwhelming. I'm barely doing better than my old 2012 Three.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, hopefully the price they charge is worth your while to even bother. Some charging stations charge so much, that it would be crazy (IMHO) to use them except in emergencies.

For ones that charge by time, one would want to have a car w/a 6.6 kW or greater on-board charger (e.g. Rav4 EV, Tesla Model S, FFE, Coda, Fit EV, '13 Leaf w/optional 6.6 kW charger, etc.)

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are not trying to make money off it. They just want to cover their electricity costs as far as I know. Last I heard they were going to do a mix of level 1 and level 2 chargers. I'm not sure of the exact details. After doing the legwork for the grant info and finding a suitable company I let the property managers handle the rest so I didn't appear pushy. The property owners and the managment company are fantastic people so I didnt want to upset anyone.

I'll find out more and make sure it's worth the money. Even if I broke even monetarily I'd still be ahead by using less fossil fuel. Given this is the only public charging station(s) in the city of Auburn, other than the one at the Clipper Creek company, I think the stations were a great addition to the complex. I know of at least two other people in the complex would were considering plug in cars but held off because there were no stations nearby.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome, that would raise your EV ratio. :)

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. My <9% EV ratio looks terrible as did the 54mpg tank from last night. lol

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The ratio one thing. The efficiency breakdown of both fuels is what matters.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True.

I can average 60mpg during my morning uphill pretty easy right now on winter fuel and cooler temps (40F-45F). This assumes I end the trip with near 0 EV miles left. So during the summer I should be able to do at least 65mpg on this section without hypermiling. I'm guessing with a charge on both ends I should be able to maintain 75-77mpg during the summer. That's good enough for my commute type and no pulse & glide work. :)

10. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What grant are you talking about?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah, bummer. Congrats on getting them to install these, very cool!