1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just had serpentine belt replaced and *poof* car dies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by soonerhokie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. soonerhokie

soonerhokie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my Prius II to the dealer to get my key fob reprogrammed. While doing that they did a routine check and noticed that my serpentine belt was quite worn. I had them replace it.

I pull out of the dealership and press on the gas to get up to highway speed and the car died on me. Luckily, immediately next door was a Lexus dealership that I was able to pull into. I called the Toyota dealership back up and they brought it back next door. Upon initial inspection, they said that for some reason, the fuel was not pumping. In addition, the car would not get out of neutral.

They will not be able to fix it until Monday, and they gave me a courtesy car. My question is whether or not this sounds like something that is caused by an improperly installed serpentine belt. It would be too much of a coincidence for it not to be caused by them, but I want to have the knowledge on hand to say that it was their fault when I get the call on Monday.

2. soonerhokie

soonerhokie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, my master warning light and brake light came on.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They probably killed the little 12 volt battery by leaving the door ajar all day while they worked on it especially if the battery is the original or it had to be jump started somewhere in its life or you bought the car used.

That 12 volt battery dying is probably the #1 reason people come to this site for help. It does all kinds of stupid things when it goes dead.

Do this test and give us the second number the load test. And also in the future its imperative you get a record of every diagnostic code the car throws. The check engine lights. The car will report exactly whats wrong with it. They will pull those codes when they look at it. It will be very helpful for you to know what the original code was if the diagnosis gets really out of hand and fingers start pointing as sometimes happens in these situations.:eek:

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Good Luck and Welcome to PC!!

dave77 likes this.