1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just had the 5k service done but had 6oo miles over

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priussoris, May 16, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

had to go out of town and ended up 600 miles over the 5k mark. anyway the serviceing dealer was great had them install my own oil and did alignment (warranty) rotate tires, and the fun part it took 2 hours for all this and I saw my salesman Gary Willis (great btw) he let me test drive the Hybrid camry, I did not like it at all kept looking for mfd , could hardly get it to go into all electric mode plus not used to looking at the cluster set up like that since the prius is in eye view. it did have a moon roof/sun roof was cool. leather seats ok
    not impressed, Next was a touring prius had it for a 2 mile jaunt then he called me someone who came in yesterday came back to buy it today, i was liking that one. next the econo box yaris peppy but thats the best i can say about it seats hard, center console way to low did like the cup holder in front of the dash vent by the doors each side. Then even better news someone I gave his business card to bought a new prius and he told me he was going to send me 50.00 bucks

last thing now was to pick up my prius in service, it was done went to cashier, NO CHARGE 0000000
    Service guys were great and the service writers!!!!!

marked all warranty and I had a coupon for free oil change.
    So if you need a Toyota prius or ? ask for Gary Willis he will take care of you and make a good deal on new or used vehicle @
    Joe Machens Toyota Columbia MO.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 16 2007, 11:55 AM) [snapback]443555[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. That's what you mean by Mid Missouri. My older daughter lives there. My wife is visiting there right now.
    OT, of course.

Dave M.

3. LongRun

LongRun New Member

To get back to your original question, no it made no difference. 600 miles is close enough. What the manufacturer is looking for is the owner that completely misses a service.

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ May 21 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]446541[/snapback]</div>
    It wouldn't matter if you were 600 over or 6,000 over, your warranty can not be voided for merely failing to change your oil at the manufacturer's recommended interval. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, it is the OEM's responsibility to prove that increasing your oil change interval directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. OEM's pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn't cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 21 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]446567[/snapback]</div>
    That is absolutly correct! It is the recommended change interval, not a set in stone must change or engine will fail interval. In most cases, you can go 7500 miles between oil changes, especially if you drive a lot of highway miles. If you do a lot of city driving, or put less than 5000 miles on in 6 months, then shorter intervals only because acids can accumulate in the oil when it sits. If you use pure synthetics, like Mobil 1, you can go even further between changes, just replace the filter at 5000, and top off the crankcase. As long as there is oil in the crankcase at the level indicated by the dipstick and it is still oil and not contaminated with other fluids, and no sludge buildup in the engine, then they will have a very hard time blaming oil as a cause of failure.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's also the reason cars in europe for example have MUCH longer intervals between oil-changes. It's not that they have much better oil (compared to synthetic). Changing oil frequently is an American 'thing' :)

7. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 21 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]446567[/snapback]</div>
    So what do you do if you have an unrelated but critical failure and 2 separate dealers deny the service? Do you pay them and sue them afterwards or what?

What if it is a part that cannot be repaired by a non-prius tech?

Has anyone gone through this process?

8. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 16 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]443555[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'll be damned. Small world. That's where I got my Prius. Don't recall a coupon for a free oil change though.

9. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sunshine Toyota in Battle Creek Michigan gives first one free oil changes also. I did ask them about checking the fasteners at the next change and they said it is included with the oil change and they do it every time. The techs were commenting on the looks since I just recently removed the cheap plastic hubcaps and was installing the chrome inserts when I picked it up.

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gh4chiefs @ May 31 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]452736[/snapback]</div>
    I told the sales manager to throw it in, We went to the " New Toyota Owners meeting on May 19th, they gave away more free oil change coupons then. so if they send out a new toyota owners meeting notice go and you will get oul change coupon and another for 15% off accessories.

I like their service they were very nice and polite I did bring my own oil in the guy started to pump their bulk oil in but I saw this went out there and told him I brought my own he said he knew that it was on the computer, but old habbits hard to break so he drained again and put in 3.5 quarts of my Trop Artic synthetic blend in as I told him.
    While I was there another classic prius was there 250,000 miles only getting an alignment done.

11. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A perfect example of a service stop generating new business and conversation. How much advertising money would have to be spent to achieve the same result? Change your oil often, here is a free oil change at 1,000mi or 3,000mi to get all of that nasty stuff out of the engine.... Toyota would be beat to death by dealers and consumers if they tried to introduce 10,000mi oil change intervals in the U.S.
    When I was shopping for a Toyota I sat in the Camry and got the sense that it is a very conventional layout. I was not impressed with the interrior room, head room, not like the Prius that I eventually purchased from another dealer. I have not driven the Hybrid Camry yet, but I would like to. Until design changes are made to the conventional vehicles to bring them up to date, and light weight materials are used extensively to lower curb weight and improve fuel economy, I would not consider one. Fuel economy is King! Long live the King!

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 21 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]446977[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I don't understand your question, because if it is a critical failure that is unrelated to the oil, what would be their basis for denying the warranty claim? Remember that the Magnusson-Moss Act is for the protection of the consumer, so the burden of proof is on the warrantor (Toyota).