1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just had the hybrid coolant pump replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gone2green, Aug 22, 2011.

1. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    since it quit working this last saturday, the dealership also said I had a leaking engine water pump and a bad serpintene belt.
    I said I never seen any water on the ground nor did the radiator level ever low , I chk when I do an oil change. So I had them change both parts along with the hybrid coolant pump.

I am not 100% sure they did the reg water pump as the radiator cap is still dusty. ( live in the desert) so
    how can I tell and what now should I be checking for?

thanks

this is a 2007 with 106,000 miles

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, it is virtually impossible to change the engine water pump, which requires a drain and fill of the cooling system, without removing the radiator cap. Did you get the old parts back? I don't know of an easy way to tell old from new, other than a new one is clean and shiny without any oil or dirt covering it.

Now, it is extremely common for there to be no sign of coolant on the ground when there is a leak, as it comes out very, very slowly, like 1 drop per mile. So the diagnosis is believable.

3. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    no, I did not ask for the parts this time, I generally tell my daughter to get the old parts...and what did I do hahah . boy did I hear about that from the wife... practice what I preach story was told to me..lol

anyway more to add to this now it has been 2 days since they did this repair, I filled up that night after picking the car up, I took it on a 180 mile road trip and the fuel gauge is still full I mean not 1 pip has gone. Never has it done that before.
    SO now I am trying to schedule to go back in for them to see what they did. or does this happen when that is done and it takes a tank or two to re-learn if they had the battery disconnected, or do they even disconnect the battery when doing the hv coolant pump?

thanks

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's common for no pips to go in 100 to 200 mi from time to time. If you got a really good fillup it would do that. At any rate, I doubt there is anything they did that would cause that.

They may have removed the rad. cap carefully, not wiping off the dust. Or you may have -new- dust on it. ;) If you look closely at the water pump pulley you can see if they messed with it. It would be wiped clean, may have some new-looking lables on the pump, etc. Ditto for the belt. Use a flashlight. You may also find some coolant on top of the undertray or spilled in the engine compartment. It's a rather involved procedure to get the air out of the system and they usually get -some- coolant spilled in there. The bright pink colour makes it easy to spot.