1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just How Spoiled ARE Americans?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack Kelly, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Several things recently have triggered my eye-rolling response when it comes to how ridiculously wealthy (in stuff bought) most of us relatively are, even if stats say the average credit-card-carrying family is carrying a debt load of $8K+ and most make the minimum payment toward interest each month.

Yes, I'm lower-middle-to-middle-class, so my perspective is a bit different from the average Prius buyer.

But OMG: the PlayStation 3 thing (and the thought that many parents---and their kids---don't bat an eye thinking about $650 Christmas presents for 13-year-olds) got my sap flowing.

The other thing that caught my eye was my local Safeway's replacement of its beat-up shopping carts with new ones WITH CUP-HOLDERS! Who among us can no longer bear a 45-minute grocery run without gourmet coffee and/or a snack?

For you, what ARE our worst excesses? (Or is there no such thing, in the overall picture, since it's all supply and demand?) Anything give you a double-take lately?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

$343,000,000,000 spent so far on a stupid war that's gained us nothing... unless you have stock in Halliburton.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The PS3 thing isn't as much for 13 year olds as you might think. The vast majority of those standing in line are people who are planning to purchase and resell for a profit. The people buying them for $2k on eBay aren't 13 year olds, they're 20-30 year old men and they're buying them for themselves.

I am shocked though by the riots over the thing...

As for cupholders on shopping carts, I don't see what the big deal with that is. Whats wrong with having something to drink while you're shopping? Nothing affluent about that.

I have absolutely no problem with people spending their money on whatever they want. I think its a shame that so many people and families carry debt so they can purchase things and deny themselves any kind of wealth later on in life because of that fact, but if you have it, spend it. We don't live a very flashy lifestyle but we do spend money on three things we really enjoy:

1. Vacations. We love going on vacation and we go away for probably 3-4 weeks a year. I'd say we spend $12k a year or so on vacations.

2. Eating out. We also enjoy eating out vs eating at home. We don't have any kids (that will change no doubt when we have kids) and we eat out probably 3-4 times a week.

3. (and this is me) My car, I enjoy driving a nice car. You can see though that I don't go overboard with that.

Some people would think spending $12k a year on vacations is excess, but we work hard and we have the money so I have no problem spending it on something we really enjoy.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Nov 18 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]351476[/snapback]</div>
    If we are the least traveled citizens of the developed world, I would say that $12K isn't nearly enough! The old cliche that nothing broadens the mind like travel may have lost its rhetorical punch, but its truth has lost none of its potence. I would even go so far as to venture a theory that there's a direct positive correlation between liberal mindset and travel experience: that the more widely traveled are more likely to have liberal viewpoints - certainly at the very least their viewpoints would tend to be more inclusive than exclusive.

Makes getting along with those who are different easier as well. Should you think getting along is important. Opinions obviously differ on this point, else weapons sales wouldn't be anywhere near the profitable enterprise it is.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Nov 18 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]351490[/snapback]</div>
    And may I add travel experience creates thankfulness for all we have but take for granted, and compassion for those living without. Much of the world doesn't have the 'life experience' to even miss what we take for granted. Basics such as food, shelter, medical care, steady income, an expectation that the next generation will do better than the previous. Pity them if you will, but pity us for not realizing that it's not 'things' which lead to happiness, but rather a mindset even the poorest have access to. Happiness is a great equalizer. Rich or poor, some find it and some don't. Stress is another equalizer. In my experience it's a byproduct of wealth. Generalizations all, but my travels have taught me much gratitude.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I too rolled my eyes about the cup holders. :blink:

Tom

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 18 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]351473[/snapback]</div>
    Non-sequitor and flame-baiting.

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Nov 18 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]351472[/snapback]</div>
    My brother works for Nordstrom's and called me the other night asking what I would like for a Christmas gift. We're not rich (any of us) and keep a limit on what we spend on each other...I told him a nice chunky necklace if he got a good deal. The next night, I was watching NBC Nightly News as I always do, and saw Ann Curry's piece on Darfur. I called my brother back and told him a Darfur-supporting charity I would rather him donate to rather than buy my stupid unnecessary necklace.

I'm solidly middle class, but I am appalled at the excess. I've become more cognizant of it myself of late. Have you noticed that everything has become disposable? We don't get stuff fixed or wait until it breaks to replace it...we just replace it because we want something "new" and throw fully functional stuff out. Electronic equipment is one HUGE example...it always gives me a doubletake when I see a perfectly good monitor or TV sitting at a curb waiting for the trash to pick it up. I know it's because of obsolescence, etc., but when the hell does it stop? What the hell are we racing toward?

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we've got everything we need, but can't afford to buy anything above and beyond what we need.

wait. let me rephrase that.

we've got all the stuff we need, but can't afford to buy any stuff above and beyond what we need. were actually thinking of selling some stuff we don't use often, or stuff we could downgrade (er, prius) for extra money. we're definitely not spoiled in terms of health lately.

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 19 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]351799[/snapback]</div>
    Follow the money!

Grocery stores, out here anyways, SELL hot coffee to the customers, with a good markup, at little self-serve kiosks. What do you do with it when you are putting the apples in the plastic bag? Remember the haunting refrain, "Cleanup on aisle 7!"?

Ergo, coffee cup holders.

11. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Many people like and want it all until there is no place to put it - but they also don't want to get rid of it. After all, leisure suits and commodore 64's might come back into style.
    Why do think that there are so may self-storage units being rented out there and more being built everyday.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before the advent of cupholders on shopping carts, when I'd go shopping with my wife she'd often grab a Coke from the cooler by the cash registers and start drinking it right there. This always horrified me, but I learned never stand between a determined woman and her Coke. For her, the cupholders were a blessing.

Also, I noticed they add the cupholders at the exact same time they installed a Dunkin Donuts right in the supermarket (Dunkin Donuts, of course, being the makers of one of the best coffees in New England).

So, yeah, cupholders on shopping carts = good idea (even though I personally never used it. Yet).

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 19 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]351938[/snapback]</div>
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but my friends who are rabid coffee drinkers try to avoid getting within 500 feet of a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee.

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Nov 19 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]351944[/snapback]</div>
    I'm serious. Of course, if they like (*choke*) Starbucks, they're lost causes.

The absolute best brand-name coffee is Peet's, but it's hard to find here.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I guess it depends on what perspective you're starting from...

But here's a really rough benchmark:

If you're paying for your own well equipped home, late model car, decent entertainment system, and have the ability to eat out everyday, chances are you're probably a bit spoiled. However, this is sort of par for course for many of us...

It really depends upon a relationship to something or other.... I'm nowhere near as spoiled as Bill Gates, but can be considered an extreme glutton by most folks living in let's say, Latvia.... :ph34r:

...then again, chances are, if you own a Prius, you're spoiled.

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The term "spoiled" seems to be a bit misused here. To me, a spoiled person was someone who had things handed to them, without having to work for them.

Based on what people here have been saying, i could definitely be considered spoiled - I take the time to indulge in the items and past times that i enjoy, some of which can be rather expensive. But on the other hand, i spend 40+ hours a week at work (usually more on the plus side) earning the money that finances all of that indulgence. Are we truly spoiled if we work hard to be able to afford those items and activities that people see as indicating we're spoiled?

To the Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks guys: There's another thread for that! :lol:

Parents who buy a PS3 for their kids are spoiling them. hands down. Adults (or even children) who buy one for themselves aren't spoiled. Growing up, the only game systems i owned were ones i bought myself. I mowed a lot of lawns back in the day.... :lol:

As for the cup holders, i think it makes sense. They're helping to prevent messes. Granted, i think it's ridiculous to need to buy a cup of coffee just to make it through the grocery, but there have been several occasions where i'll hit the grocery, or Petco (my dog IS spoiled, no arguing that) or Home Depot after grabbing a bite at Chipotle or something, and be carrying around my cup (freshly refilled, of course) - There have been times i've spilled it trying to juggle stuff, and a cup holder would have saved that waste.

17. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

When I saw this thread develop out of the other thread, I figured it would be the perfect place to point out how Black Friday and the whole Christmas holiday season flies in the face of the liberal platform of the rich undertaxed republicans having all the money and the other 98% of the country being too poor to afford bus fare.

Apparently all of America has money to burn and they are willing to sock each other in the mouth if it means a chance at beating another fellow American to the shelf for a cheap DVD player.

In February when all the bills from Nov-Dec come due, we can get back to thumping the drum about how unfair the social classes in America are, and how middle America can't afford their gas bill (or their smokes, beer, and credit card interest). We can talk about how the rich republicans foisted black friday on the poor people to steal their money. I love February.

All of that said, i'm joining the frenzy. On black friday, I am going to my local rural ace hardware to pick up a couple of these: Black & Decker Workmate X-Frame Light Duty Workbench - $14.99

I only go because my normal work schedule is so early, I'll wake up even on my day off by 5am without an alarm, and my Ace is close enough I can get there and back without hitting any traffic.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Nov 18 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]351472[/snapback]</div>
    I do not believe in judging my neighbors who can choose how to allocate their hard earned and well taxed income. Since they are spending their money and not the governments money they have in my opinion the right to enter the marketplace and make their choices according to their wants and needs. In doing so they drive the economy and the research and development and production of new technologies and products that prove helpful to many others - witness the DVD player - 5 years ago $1,000 -- no $39.95 in Target or WalMart. Lipitor - here only because of the marketplace - are we spoiled because we expect organ transplantation here when most other countries limit it or advanced chemotherapy?? Anyhow....

I would argue that in socialized countries like France where they EXPECT the government to do their bidding that they are more spoiled than we are. Remember the protests about a year ago when French university students demanded continued government policies of life long employment, etc. Or when whatever the industry du jour stops France cold because of wage disputes or trade disputes - the fact that they rely on others for their income and then go out and buy the same playstation or whatever is evidence of real spoilage. They demand 2 hour lunch breaks, a 35 hour work week -- why not not work at all??

19. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I guess I view things a little differently. Being spoiled to me isn't about how much money someone has or how they spend it. It's more about how someone handles a situation where they don't get their way. Someone who is spoiled is mostly or completely unprepared for this. For example, a kid who always wins at a game and throws fits whenever they aren't winning, or something is too hard. Or people who inceessantly complain whenever their routine is altered.

A kid of rich parents who always gets what he/she wants is very likely to end up spoiled. But the financial situation doesn't define being spoiled, it is simply a contributing factor. I saw many spoiled, poor kids while I was growing up.

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excessive? After reading some of the posts it's apparent that most people that buy Prius's aren't doing it because the cost of gas is hurting their lifestyle. I remember the income poll some time ago and the majority of people here are over $100,000/yr. incomes.

In my case excessive must be: 1) Paying $42.95/mo. for high speed cable internet instead of dial up for $10.95/mo. 2) We recently got HBO back for a few months. 3) I splurged spending $42 on a web camera. 4) Sorry, no credit card excess, unless you consider a vet bill for $550 to save my cat's life excessive. 5) It was a hard choice. We almost gave up our "vacation" because of the vet bill. We drive down to Key West for 1 weekend in December BEFORE high season starts. We have a few frozen drinks, eat cheaply, and spend a little money on a few attractions. I have not had a real vacation since 1990. 6) I guess I can't be considered excessive as I am still seeking a full time job and working part time.

I wish I could belong to the batch of people that simply have nothing to worry about when it comes to money and the nice things it buys. It must be nice not having financial worries all the time.