1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just need a spare non-SKS key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gallde, Sep 28, 2010.

1. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I lost one of my SKS fobs (in Hampton bay), and now have just one left. I'd like to get two spares (hiding one on the car) that can at least open the car and run in the dash slot. (As I understand it, it's costly to buy and program a new SKS fob, and used ones won't work as SKS.) So, this should be simple to answer given the combined expertise in this group:

1) If all I want is a spare non-SKS-operable fob, can I buy any used one on eBay, whether SKS (silver logo) or not (black logo) and marry the car to it using the technique described by others involving putting the used key in the slot several times, opening and closing the doors, etc? (Or, does it have to be one type or the other?)

2) What's the latest pricing people have found for buying and programming a NEW SKS fob from the dealer? (Assuming I have a working one in hand.)

Thanks

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any new/used Prius keyfob (black or silver logo) can be made to work in the dash slot. If you want the buttons or proximity (SKS) functions to work, then you'll probably need a brand new, never set up, one from the dealer.

So for that backup spare, I'd get the cheapest one to be found on eBay. Program it yourself according to the first instructions (5 step sequence) in http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html . Then get a $2 mechanical key anywhere keys are made. It doesn't have to be the mini key like in the keyfob - a standard Toyota non-transponder key will do. Remove the battery from the used keyfob to prevent it from corroding over everything in the next 10 years.

The list price of a new keyfob is about $180, and programming is about $100. It's usually easy to get an eBay key in the $30 to $50 range. Any price higher than that and you may as well get a new one from a dealer.

Some dealers know how to program used keys, but it will cost at least an hour's labor, probably more.