1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just not able to get one like we thought

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bea2006, May 13, 2006.

1. bea2006

bea2006 New Member

Are 2007 Prius elligible for the tax credit as long as it is before the 60,000? We thought we had a car and now don't have one. We are looking for a package 5 any color. I see that the 05-06 prius is listed on the tax credit, as is the 07 Camry. But I do not see the 07 listed. Does anyone know? Thanks. Just wish we had the car. B

2. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bea2006 @ May 13 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]254694[/snapback]</div>

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 2007 Prius is coming out until around late October or early November. Did some dealership tell you that you can get one now?? If so, I would not do business with them.

If you are looking for a 2006, try this method to find one: go to Toyota's home page. On the lower left, there are several links, such as Build Your Car. One of those links is called something like "Locate a dealer." When you click on that, a tiny white block will open right under the link, asking you for your zip code. Type it in, and another page will open showing you a list of dealers in your area (within something like 25 to 50 miles), and a link to each one's web page. In my state, Louisiana, the home web pages for each Toyota dealer all look almost exactly alike except for the dealer's name. At the top of each home page, usually on the left, but sometimes on the right, you will see an area for searching the dealer's inventory. There are three white blocks, one is for the manufacturer's name, which always shows as Toyota, and thus does not have to be filled out. The other 2 are for the model and year number. Just fill in Prius and 2006. A page will then open that shows you a list of all Priuses that the dealer has either IN STOCK or AVAILABLE. The key term is the latter, as most dealerships I check show one or two, if any, in stock. But AVAILABLE tells you which Priuses are in your whole area (the dealers in the area swap them back and forth). I'm not sure how big the area is. From what I could tell, it's not the whole state, but about 50 to 100 miles or so. The list also shows you the price of each Prius and the Option Package and other options it comes with. You have to click on each listing to see those details.

If your closest dealer has a Prius in stock, but not one you want, but the ones shown as AVAILABLE does include one you want, repeat this whole process for each dealership that Toyota's home page came up with for you. Also, if none of the dealerships thus listed have what you want, start from the beginning again, but this time put in the zip code for a big city about 100 miles away, get the list of all the dealerships there, and do this whole process again. For example, I'm helping a friend who is now looking for a Prius. I live near New Orleans, so first I checked all the dealerships in the New Orleans area and within about 50 miles, which was about 7 dealerships. She is being way too picky, tho. So I then got from Toyota's web site a list of all the dealerships in the Baton Rouge area, which is about 90 miles from New Orleans. If necessary, I could also get lists of dealerships from other cities in Louisiana that are another 100 miles or so away, or even check Houston, or any place in the country. My friend now can't decide whether she wants a Prius or hybrid Camry, so this could be a long search.

Good luck. If you're willing to drive as far as 300 miles or so, I think you will find it's not that hard to locate a Prius with the price range and options you want.

Gary
    2006 Super White

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As far as I know, the tax credit applies to a new hybrid bought in 2006.

If you don't take ownership in 2006, you will not qualify for the credit according to the current rules.

It would be risky to assume the IRS rules will change to allow credits for 2007 purchases.

4. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bea2006 @ May 13 2006, 06:17 AM) [snapback]254694[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know, the 2007 Prius hasn't been listed by the IRS as a qualifying vehicle only because Toyota hasn't yet represented to the IRS that the 2007 Prius qualifies. Or maybe it's in the works. I suppose it is possible that the base credit associated with the 2007 Prius will be somewhat more or less than the $3,150 associated with the 2006 model.

I see nothing in the language of the bill that limits the credit to purchases made in 2006 or to 2006 model year vehicles. The language reads "The purchaser must accept delivery of the Hybrid vehicle from the dealer on or after January 1, 2006." The only issue is the degree to which the credit is reduced because of the timing of the 60,000th hybrid sale by that manufacturer. If Toyota/Lexus sells its 60,000th hybrid during the current calendar quarter, as expected, the full base credit ($3,150 for the 2006 Prius) will be available through September 30, 2006; 50% of the base credit for the model purchased will be available from October 1, 2006 through March 31, 2007; and 25% of the base credit for the model purchased will be available from April 1, 2007 through September 30, 2007.

5. amaynard

amaynard New Member

If you are looking for a 2006, try this method to find one: go to Toyota's home page. On the lower left, there are several links, such as Build Your Car. One of those links is called something like "Locate a dealer."

I tried this method, but it did not work. Then I went in to the dealership. Asked to talk to the sales manager after getting nowhere with a salesman. Talked to the manager. Told him what I wanted, paying cash and did not have a trade-in. Asked if he would please look in his database if he was interested in selling me a car. Exactly what I want is coming into port of Houston week after next. I put down a refundable deposit.

Here in Louisiana, they can trade in a 5 state area. The cars you see on the internet as in stock are usually already sold. The available means nothing. Your dealer has a database of what is coming into the port in Houston for the dealerships in the Gulf State Region. They must have a Prius coming into the port that they can trade the other dealer.