1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just passed 15K (now 20k) miles on my Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by efusco, Aug 31, 2013.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With an average of 315 Wh/mi I've used 4739kW of electricity and that's with some pretty spirited driving.
    At $0.11/kW that's ~$520 worth of electrons used. There are some vampire losses not figured into those numbers, but there was also some "free" charging not figured in, I figure it's a wash.

Doing the math at current gas prices (I'll use $3.50/gallon) I would have purchased 148.5 gallons of gas...I'd have needed a gas car getting 101MPG to go 15,000 miles for that cost.

I've accumulated a lot more miles than expected. My Prius averaged 12-18k miles per year. I got my Tesla Dec. 3, 2012, so I'm on track for about 22,500 miles in my first year! It's out preferred vehicle for pretty much everything. Loaf of bread at the shop a mile up the road to a 230 mile one way trip for a Cardinals baseball game. I've taken ~6 "long" trips of over 400 miles round trip.

Could not be happier with this choice. We still have the Prius and Highlander Hybrid, my wife switches back and forth b/w the HiHy and the Prius as her daily driver.
    [​IMG]

ewxlt66, Cristino, Andyprius1 and 7 others like this.
  2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats! If I had a place to plug-in in my condo complex, I'd want a Telsa. Oh yeah, the money too.

I know a guy who gets all his charge ups for his Telsa for free since he lives within 20 minutes of their Supercharger station at their Fremont, California factory.

He just grabs a Starbucks or fast food to go and goes to enjoy it there while charging. He also says it's great socially as well since he can chat and network with other Telsa owners.

mmmodem and JMD like this.
  3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are there any other Telsa's in your area?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2 others, one owner I somewhat know, the other I've exchanged a couple emails with. I saw the one belonging to the owner I somewhat know parked in the same lot downtown just the other day.

There are several others within 100-200 miles and a lot in the major metropolitan areas within the range of my Model S.

FL_Prius_Driver likes this.
  5. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great to hear about the Model S. report. :)

Thank you,

DBCassidy

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! Crazy! You haven't had your car that long.

I'm leasing a Leaf w/only 12K miles/year so I'd get killed on over mileage charges if I racked up miles that quickly. I've my Leaf for a just a tad over a month and am racking up miles a bit too quickly at w/~1100 on the clock, so far.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's great (but not at all surprising) that you love your Tesla, Evan. Two years later, I love mine still. I got a chance to drive a Model S a while back when a fellow down in ID needed a charge here in Spokane, and before we plugged it in at my house, he let me take it for a drive. It was an 85 kWh non-Performance model, so had less acceleration than my Roadster, but was still a dream to drive. I didn't play with any of the gadgets. Then we went for a ride in mine and visited while his charged up and his wife ran in the big local foot race and fun run, called Bloomsday.

I'm too forgetful to log all my miles and electric usage, but I figure something like 3 miles per kWh at the wall in summer, and a bit less in winter when I run the heater. I drive it hard, because that's what it was made for. I think there are at least a couple of other Model S in town. One other I know of since I know the owner.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It'll be SO great when they do come out with a more 'affordably' priced model and complete the supercharging infrastructure. More Tesla in the hands of more folk will be a remarkable thing to see, and I think it will happen once the aforementioned happens.

austingreen likes this.
  9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's just a matter of time. It's a new company just getting started from the ground up.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not that new a company. Per About Tesla | Tesla Motors, it was founded in 2003.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reports, Evan and daniel! Dream cars, yours. Great to hear they are holding up and pleasing you as owners. Recently had my first EV drive: test drive of an iMiEV. Wonder if it would take you off the line? Even it was fun to drive, though. Nice as a city car, but without the reach or wow factor of the Teslas.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I consider ten years old to be fairly new. Especially in an emerging technology. In ten years they went from concept to producing the EV that showed the world that EVs can be fast and fun, and a sedan that's being called the best gadget ever, and from unknown to a company the market believes will succeed, if stock price is any indication.

If they manage to produce a mass-market affordable EV with a 200-mile real-world range in 4 or 5 more years, AND install superchargers along the major interstate routes, this will be phenomenally fast growth.

The iMiEV is a very nice city car. It won't impress anyone with its acceleration as the Teslas do, but five years ago I'd have considered it a BIG step up from my daily driver (the Zap Xebra). I'd never have bought the ill-fated Porsche if the iMiEV had been available at the time.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps, but the i-MiEV isn't selling at all in the US from August 2013 Dashboard - HybridCars.com. I guess the US market has spoken about an EV like that.

14. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True, cwerdna, but I'd love to have one as our second car. And I had to drive 3 hours to test drive one, way beyond its range for driving it home. So I'd have to ship it to my state. Same reason a PiP is not our primary car: I'm too cheap to ship it from CA or MD.

15. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for this thread. It makes me quite jealous. As with the rest of the posters in this thread, I hope Tesla continues to sell well and continues to make money.

Pardon my ignorance, how long does the supercharger charging take?

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This link:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

seems to say 200 miles of range in half an hour. That's probably driving gently. It's a 120 kW charger, meaning you'd get 60 kWh in 30 minutes. At 3 miles per kWh that would be 180 miles at more "normal" driving. I'm guessing a 300-mile 85 kWh Model S would take between 45 minutes and an hour to fully charge from empty, depending on whether it slows down as the pack gets closer to full.

Maybe someone who's actually used one can report.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to, won't be able to for a month or two though.
    Minnesota should have its first supercharger in a month or two.
    Although I understand the WI Eau Claire supercharger is on track for October, so perhaps I will check that one out.

The superchargers ramp down as the battery fills, so 150 miles in 20 minutes is the number I have heard. A full charge, I would guess, takes a bit more than double that (ie I agree with Daniel).

Our plan is to stop for a coffee and fill up, or maybe lunch if the timing works, on our way to relatives in Iowa.
    I am very pumped about almost being to the point where I will never need to rent or borrow another gas burner again:)

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    next time take a bike for that 1 mile shopping you do for a Loaf of bread

yes i also want to be able to drive a tesla just to get a Loaf of bread:(

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Holy $&@#!! You can charge for free at the Tesla Factory? I live 2 freeway exits away. It's actually on my way to work! That's it, I'm going over there to buy one. Oh wait, I'm not rich.

I sure hope Tesla releases their affordable Model 3 by 2019 when my green HOV decals expire.

Merkey and SAronian like this.
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can charge for free at any Tesla supercharger (if you have the 85kwh pack).
    However, they are intended for people on trips, not daily use.

I do hope they are moving their Tesla after they have charged up rather than needlessly taking up the spot.