1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just picked up a 2007 Prius Touring for my 16 year old daughter - a few questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Trojan1884, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Just picked up a 2007 Prius Touring model in near minty shape for my 16 year old daughter's first car. It's got 160k miles(brand new Toyota battery pack installed by the dealer) on it and I have a couple questions as the car drives beautifully on nicely paved smooth roads but on bumpy roads it seems to bob front to rear noticeably more than my other vehicles(which are longer wheel based and heavier). Also, at freeway speeds, making more aggressive turns exhibits a bit more lean and is slow to settle back to level. My kid hasn't driven it yet, and just has her permit, but I want to make it as safe handling and comfortable of a car as I can before she is actively driving it.

1) Given the mileage, I'm inclined to think that I should replace the struts. What struts and/or springs should I get? I would like it to drive like a stock or slightly sportier handling Prius. Most of my local shops suggest going Monroe as they have lifetime warranty but one shop suggests KYB and they are about $400 cheaper than the Monroe struts installed. One shop claims that the Monroe's are a much smoother ride than the KYB's.

2) Sway Bars - Are there aftermarket sway bars that are better performing than what is from the factory?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I also recently purchased a 2007 Touring model with 143k miles (back in Feb/March time frame). I had to repair the battery and the windshield, as it had a crack. Personally, I've seen many Prii advertised as touring models that truly are not. Mine had the original window sticker and all paperwork/documentation included. To me, it handles like it's on rails. Not as well as the Hyundai Veloster turbo my wife previously owned, but it's impressive to me for a Prius. Maybe my standards just aren't that high....lol. The touring model was OEM with 16" wheels instead of 15" and different suspension/sway bar than the standard prius. You can check the shocks, as they have different color coding rings on them than the standard Prius. Don't remember what they are, but a quick search should find them. If yours is a touring model, idk that you can make much improvement to the swaybar. If the shocks are worn out, then anything would be an improvement. If the suspension is standard, you can always go to touring specs. I make no claim to be a prius suspension expert. Just my musings of the experience I have from sometimes being overly adventurous with my stock 2007.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to give it to a 16 year old girl, you should do a full maintenance on the car. So you'll know the car's in good shape.

Check and replace the following.

Shocks
    Brakes & tires
    Inverter pump (fails approximately 100k miles)
    Water pump & belt
    Transaxle fluid
    Coolant

Show her how to check the oil, as these cars will burn oil and you'll need to add.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In regards to handling, there is a brace underneath the car - a thin steel, swiss-cheese piece of metal. Some here (and some older members when the car was new) installed a strengthening brace, essentially replacing the stock with a thicker, more solid piece of metal and they claim it helped.

BT Tech strengthening brace is one that you might have come across if you search the forum. Unfortunately, Brian is no longer with us. You may be able to find similar braces online.

5. Stargazerwa

Stargazerwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a 2007 for my daughter two years ago and it's been a great car for her. I followed suggestions from Priuschat members and changed the transaxle fluid and replaced the original 12v battery with OEM. Apparently when these batteries start failing it can cause problems. I am surprised the Drive battery was replaced at 160k. I also checked the battery air cooling system which can get clogged with pet fur etc. hers was clean. It has been a very reliable car and she can afford to drive it everywhere. I think the handeling is solid for a small car. Hers is not the touring model

Checking the oil is a must and not something the younger generation is used to. It does burn oil, also oil changes are quite simple on this car, much easier than our newer Toyotas

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes change the both front/rear struts. Over the years, I've only use monroe products twice and both times they weren't an improvement in ride quality and felt like they used generic damping rates and varied the shock body lengths to meet individual models. I'll never buy another set.

I have an 06 with only 50k miles (yes not a typo) that I bought for my kids and it still rides like a new car but the steering has a loose and darty feeling which is a common complaint. The brace mentioned above is the supposed fix.

So far I've replaced the transaxle fluid, oil, air filter, cabin filter, one headlight bulb, cleaned the throttle body/MAF, and... drum roll please....... the traction battery for a new toyota pack. It's had the inverter pump replaced during the original recall.

You can enter the VIN into the owners site to see what Toyota dealers have done to it through the years: Log into Your Toyota Owners Account | Toyota Owners

#6 fotomoto, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oem Toyota shocks are really affordable at online Toyota dealer shops, priced similar to Monroe. I get mine at Camelback Toyota online store

8. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure its a Touring Model, given I bought it from the Toyota dealer that's been servicing it since it was new. No doubt, it definitely doesn't handle or accelerate like my daily driver 2016 VW Golf Sportswagen with Turbo or prior 2008 VW Jetta Sportswagon Turbo Diesel but its impressive in its own right and fun to drive so far.

Regards,

Tony

9. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, definitely all the scheduled maintenance has been done as I bought it from the dealer that has serviced it since new and it came with a Carfax report and all the service records. I'll double check on the Inverter Pump, Belt, Water Pump, Belt, etc.

Regards,

Tony

10. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I'll check around for those braces as I have seen a few posts here mentioning them.

Regards,

Tony

11. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, the Toyota Salesman said they replaced the Drive Battery as part of their process of going thru the vehicle to prep it for resale on their lot. I'll look into the records and see if the 12v battery is stock or been replaced. Is there a reason for going with OEM vs an aftermarket? I normally use First Interstate Megatron in my trucks, van and other cars.

Regards,

Tony

12. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I want to go aftermarket this time.

Regards,

Tony

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Monroe vs Toyota is not a fair comparison. Monroe quality is similar to the stuff you get at the 99 cents store vs. Toyota OEM is engineered to a certain specification and quality.

MilkyWay likes this.
  14. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I want to install KYB GR2 Struts front and rear.

15. Stargazerwa

Stargazerwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius 12v is small and not a lot of options available from other battery manufacturers. Advice on this forum convinced me of the reliability of the OEM battery and it has a great warranty. I ordered an Optima from Amazon then cancelled it. Since this battery doesn't start the engine it hard to tell if it's declining. I would inspect it and see how old it is. I believe there are two sizes with those cars with keyless entry having the bigger battery.

16. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd ask to see the invoice on that. It seems highly unlikey they replaced a functioning traction battery with a brand new $3000+ part as preventive maintenance in preparation for resale.

Regarding struts: Monroe is junk. I wouldn't put them on my car if they were giving them away -- literally. It's not worth the labor -- DIY or paid. KYB are excellent, and I believe your only quality aftermarket option. Unfortunately, Bilstein doesn't make strut for the Prius (that I'm aware of).

17. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I have the CARFAX showing all the dealer servicing AND the Toyota Dealer Invoice showing the replacement of the battery at $3,400 plus additional maintenance as they prepped the vehicle for resale.

My other suspension consideration is fully adjustable coilovers but I'm just ordered the KYB GR2's all the way around.

Regards,

Tony

18. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I will check into that, typically is there a generally mileage that this battery SHOULD be replaced? Ours has the Keyless/Smart Key that does not need to be inserted into the ignition.

Regards,

Tony

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    FYI: The SKS system can quickly run down the battery if not driven for a while (like parked at the airport while on a trip or a dealers lot) so Toyota installed a button near the bottom of the dash beneath the steering wheel to turn it off in those situations. Since it doesn't crank start the gasoline engine, the 12v battery is smaller than conventional vehicles.

20. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    batteries don't get replaced at a time or mileage they get replaced when needed.. there is no internal clock when they die, they die

21. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's awesome! Sounds like you got an excellent car!

22. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the info.! Since my kid hasn't gotten her license yet, I'm actually driving it daily and leaving my main car in the garage! The Prius is fun to drive and suits 95% of my driving, may have to get one for myself once she starts driving on her own!

Tony

Raytheeagle likes this.
  23. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    True but there are typical lifespans that can be expected where one can replace parts if they don't mind spending the money to ensure reliable operation. My friend owns an ambulance company and he changes the batteries every 2 years in the vehicles to ensure they don't have a vehicle with patients stalled due to a battery that doesn't have any defects.

Regards,

Tony

24. Trojan1884

Trojan1884 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FYI, Installed the KYB Struts all the way around with all new KYB Mounting Parts and boots. The ride is excellent comfort wise compared to before with the original struts. Now to try and eliminate the body lean when making aggressive turns. Searching for the underbraces, I found a Tannabe Sustec model, ordered it and they cancellled and credited my card back a few days later so I'll have to keep looking. Also, found a Tannabe Sustec Strut Tower Brace which I ordered and need to install to see if it helps at all.

Are there any current sources for the underbrace or other parts to consider?

Regards,

Tony