1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Picked up my New Priusv

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by sidsprius, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sidsprius

sidsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My head is spining. Turned in my 2009 Jeep grdche for my new Prius. H E L P....I have so much to learn. going to sit down tonight and begain reading all manuals. Love the looks of the wagon. 17in wheels are great. I am so happy I found Prius Chat and look forward learning from all of you.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. kenzinn

kenzinn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you enjoy a quality car.....Keep us all informed.....

As you explore your new car today, can you please measure and post the length of the cargo area behind the front seats to the hatch (while the front seats are pushed back for the most driver leg room) - for something to lay flat ?.......Also the width between the rear wheel wells in the cargo area?

4. sidsprius

sidsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I will do that and get back to you

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also red Catgic's recommendations driving:

Hybrid Hypermiling - Hybrid EcoDriving - Ultra High MPG

I kept calling him Gencat... It's Catgic. Either way, his link there helped me understand proper driving of a hybrid to get more out of it. If you try and treat it like your old car, you won't see the MPG difference at the beginning.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know exactly what you mean! I'm only a few days ahead and am overwhelmed with my mini space shuttle experience.

It's a good group. They've been very helpful to me thus far. It will get easier and don't worry the fuel gauge isn't stuck on full. Coming from a similar mpg car I kept waiting and watching but it took a while which is a welcome change. =). W

7. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aloha enjoy your new ride!!

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

8. sidsprius

sidsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the congratulations. Taking it slow and reading the manuals and watching the videos you all have told me to watch. And I thought I new everything about driving a car...I have one question. What happends if I leave my lights on and the batty is dead. Can I jump start my Prius with jumper cables ( I have not looked under the hood yet)?

9. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I believe there is a VERY specific way to jump your Prius... Under the current warranty, you should be able to get the dealership to help you with that.

Given you are in a Prius v 5, with maybe ATP (Adv Tech Package) (Hard to tell since you put #5 instead of standard or ATP), you might have 'Auto' as an option. If you have ATP, leave it on Auto, then you don't have to worry about the lights.

10. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had this conversation with my service department. I encourage you to please double check me with yours but here is what I learned:

There are 2 ways one from the front and the other the rear. I carry a battery jump box so the rear is easier.

1 (my preferred) lift the cargo area storage hatch looking at the spare tire and a side panel on the passenger (I think!) side of the car will lift and expose a normal 12v battery. Hook cables to the proper terminal (red to red, black to black) and jump as you would a normal car.

2 under the hood lift the top off the fuse panel on the right side. In there you will see a red lever cover that I believe opened toward the passenger side exposing a flat metallic panel. Your positive (red) cable connects here. Your negative (black) should connect to either a bolt on the body of the car or the gas motor. Either are in easy reach. Do NOT use the electric motor as ground which is also within easy reach. They stated the surge may damage components. They suggested a bolt on the motor that was about 6" down facing the fuse panel.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind I'm still in overload myself. Both of these procedures are documented in the owners manual.
    W

1 person likes this.
  11. sidsprius

sidsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Wonder...Hope I never have to but always good to know.