1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Purchased a 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bfpdb, Aug 9, 2012.

1. bfpdb

bfpdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After a long time lurking here on Prius chat I purchased a used 2007 Prius, has 109,000 mi and from the maintenece records that i was show as well as the CarFax it has only had routine service and no body damage, I think I got a good deal from Local Dealer. I mentioned an ext warranty for it but the 2 year deal i was offered was imho very high. I have seen here somewhere an ext warranty for lots less than what i was quoted but the mileage may be to high. Anyway what issues can i expect to show up? Also the dealer put a new set of Good Year Tires on it, and so far after only 300 mi I am loving it, really . and is getting 48 MPG on the first tank.

2. Big Joe

Big Joe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not experienced enough with my Prius to answer your questions, but congrats on the purchase! I picked up a 2007 myself just last week. I didn't buy the extended warranty either, it would have been about $1800.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Way way overdue for transmission fluid change and Inverter & Engine Coolant change.

4. Big Joe

Big Joe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went from using an F-150 with the big 5.4 engine as a daily driver to the Prius. My job requires a lot of city driving, and my mileage has improved from 14.5 to 49. So far, so good!

5. bfpdb

bfpdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went from a Chev Tahoe getting 12 to the current 48 running the AC on High here in the 100 deg temps,
    edthefox5, where can i access the recomended service requirements, My owners manual dont say anything but how to check the fluids. My only regret now looking back is why didnt I get a New Prius, but I will be back next year and get one.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe Toyota has any recommended interval for transmission fluid change. Some dealers claim it's "lifetime" fluid. :rolleyes: I agree that at that mileage, you are WAY overdue for changing that. Do that ASAP, as a precaution.

Yay that you moved away from a Tahoe. You're probably pleasantly surprised about the cost to fill up each time and how little it cost to got x distance vs. your Tahoe.

7. bfpdb

bfpdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was spending at leat 50/60 per day driving my Tahoe, I also have a 2005 chevy silverado that gets around 18 but neithers will compare to the Prius. Wish I had got a New one. If dealers say Trans fluid is life time why should i change it, I have a ford f-150 with 285K on it that i drive daily that has never been changed and i hear horror storie about vehicle with high mileage when the trans fluid is changed. Thanks Danny in Ark.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I'd say it that the dealer(s) are misinformed. I wish I could find the thread were someone did a couple used oil analyses on their PSD (power split device aka transaxle) fluid.

Here's some discussion, but I can't find the UOA:
    ATF-WS lifespan? | PriusChat (you have a NHW20, as do I0
    Changing Transaxle oil | Page 11 | PriusChat - mine looked pretty dark at 50.8K miles
    Changed trans-axle fluid too soon? | PriusChat might be insightful. Patrick Wong and seilerts are two knowledgeable folks when it comes to Prius repair.

I would seriously change your PSD fluid now.

9. bfpdb

bfpdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    am going to dealer tue for info , its not a problem, if it needs to changed it will be, regardless it wont hurt anything.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I and others have had their dealers try to talk people out of changing their PSD fluid, for some odd reason (probably comes from their claims that it's "lifetime" fluid). Despite them trying to talk me out of it, I had them do it anyway.

If you saw the 2 UOAs that someone did, I think you'd be pretty convinced it should've been done long ago.

We're mainly doing this as a precaution as replacing a PSD can be expensive (Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 2 Prius (2004-2009) Transmission Failure, P0AA6, P0A92, P0A7A).

11. bfpdb

bfpdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the maint sched and it says at 100k service the trans and trans axel as well as flushing the coolant. found it at toyota owners website. thanks for all the help. will be headed to the dealer Monday thanks again