1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just purchased a 2009 Prius with 999,999kms

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev09prius, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Kev09prius

Kev09prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi guys! I just purchased a 2009 Prius today that allegedly has over a million kms. They allege it hit 999,999 sometime in 2019. Can this be manipulated to be this high? I wouldn’t doubt it seeing as it was a taxi and many are driven nearly 24 hours a day. The guy selling its grandfather owned it from new and apparently was religious about maintenance however I’d say it likely hasn’t had much care recently because there are more then a few warning lights on the dash, and they were taped over with black tape so he could ignore them.. Out of sight out of mind I guess!

Cab drivers are scrutinized more here with safety regulations because they are moving passengers around however the owners are always trying to squeeze every dollar out of these vehicles so to be honest I’m not sure if the replaced parts over the years are oem or aftermarket quality or if the parts were installed with care and professionally.

So the warning lights are as follows

-“Triangle of death” - probably battery failure - $750 for a reconditioned one

-Brake wear light (brakes seem good so will look into this)

-ABS light
    -Engine light
    -TPMS light - probably due to the steel rims on it not having sensors.

It also rolls in park so I’m not sure what the reason is because it says it’s in park. Probably a transmission replacement in order.

So again do you think the odometer can be manipulated to give it that many kms or do you think that’s a legitimate number? If it’s legitimate I wanna keep this vehicle and refurbish it. It would be really cool to have a vehicle with over a million km’s.

cheers

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Guessing at the warning lights won't save you any money. Many here prefer to use an OBD2 scanner like a 'mini-vci' cable with a copy of techstream installed on a windows device to scan for OBD2 codes (DTCs).

Unless they're giving it to you for free, best to walk away.
    See if the vehicle was sold in the states by running the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

3. Phillip Griffith

Phillip Griffith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to chime in on your comment about the black tape over the warning lights ; the high beam blue light on while night driving is my only dislike about my Prius; Its in your face insulting, that light is. All jokes aside if the car still ran after all those lights on is amazing.

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Welcome. The title on your post is definitely an attention-grabber. Best of luck with your car. Keep us posted as you proceed to do whatever you decide to do with it.