1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just purchased a C3...with a lot of add-ons =/

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by xchrisssiiex, Feb 2, 2013.

1. xchrisssiiex

xchrisssiiex New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    AHH, I'm so excited for this car. It's in moonglow. I been lurking the forums to get a good pricing on this vehicle for a almost two weeks. I searched around online for pricings through costco/aaa/carwoo, etc etc and was about to get it for $20,800 (excluding tax/reg fees). After that I tried three other dealerships near by and none of them could beat that price. SO... I finally went into the dealership today to pick the car up and finalize everything.

Before i go on about the add-ons, A little background, I decided to get a Prius C because my old car, '96 accord has trouble starting up due to distributor issues and was told it would be about $800 to replace. And this morning, I was trying to pull out of my drive way and the engine just kept dying/stalling. I couldn't risk this for another week since I have to go to school, so I asked my parents to go with me to the dealership to get the C3.

Anyways, so we got to the dealership pretty late and when we started to talk to the F&I guy he made all the add-ons sound like a great deal since we are only paying an extra "$30 a month, which is a dollar a day" over 5.5 years. My dad was the one signing the paperwork, and wasn't really reading the fine print since the F&I guy started chatting him up about the superbowl game.

So now im reviewing everything and it seems like we got a little screwed with all these add-ons: toyota extra care, toyota extended warranty, karr alarm, and the paint/interior seat protection(which he said he will throw in for free but on the contract it says $995 for 5 years). I read the toyota care/extended warranty fine print and it says we can cancel it within a certain amount of time, the karr alarm is not refundable, but there's no cancel/refund notice for the paint protection.

SO what i am really wondering is ....if I would be able to cancel karr alarm and the paint protection because they have not installed either products on my car yet. I have to take it back to them later this week to get it done, but can i just refuse to do it and request a refund??

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the Prius family and PC! I would cancel the extended warranty for sure, but don't know if you can cancel the alarm or paint protections since that is a option/product added to the car and part of your purchase contract. BTW, you likely can't cancel the warranty on the purchase contract; you'll have to do it directly with the warranty company, and they will do one of two things - send you a check or send the check to the finance company who will credit your outstanding loan. Since you already signed the purchase contract and drove the car off, you won't be able to change the terms or amount, cancel the purchase or add-ons, or get a credit for the alarm/paint protection (unless you ultimately don't qualify for the car loan). Look at this as a life lesson learned, be happy with your purchase (hey - it's a new car!!), and since you're stuck with the paint protection, learn what it covers and utilize the warranty if ever needed. I'll bet the next time you car shop, you'll be more savvy!! Enjoy the C!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!