1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just purchased my first Prius (2010 II) - Best stereo upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by datathe1st, Oct 18, 2013.

1. datathe1st

datathe1st New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. I just purchased a Prius last week and have been really enjoying playing the l/100km minigame. I currently have a usb bluetooth to 3.5mm dongle plugged in to the aux port so my car can now receive bluetooth over aux in, but I'm really missing two features.

1) Purely cosmetic but I'd really like to put the OEM touch screen unit in, with or without navigation (I use my Nexus 4 for Nav anyway).

2) I'd like to install a backup camera.

I have two questions for you knowledgeable people.

1) Can I purchase a used factory nav system from someone else's 2010 - 2013 Prius and just plug it in to my car (with a video tutorial for removing the existing deck, etc.) or are they not electrically or mechanically compatible? Could I then plug in any off the shelf backup video camera after drilling the right holes and connecting power from the reverse lights, plus the RCA video out?

2) Would I be better off purchasing something a little fuglier like this: (okay can't post links but just lookup any Android 4.0 Prius unit with a Cortex A8 chip) where everything is an unknown - does it fit? do the buttons look the same as existing materials? will it work as advertised? etc...

I don't want to spend too much because I bought this car used on a budget and it really does do everything I need it to do. Backup camera is a nice to have and a touchscreen just looks nicer. I guess bluetooth phone calls (which the USB dongle does not do) would be nice too.

2. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will have an almost new nav touch screen from my 2013 available soon

3. datathe1st

datathe1st New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that mechanically and electrically compatible with my 2010 prius 2? If so how much do you want for it shipped to Vancouver?

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Congrats!

The info you're looking for is all here.. and then some.. just need to find it. Have fun!

5. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure about swapping out unit. Do some good research first. I bought my wife a 2012 camry last year and it did not have satelite or nav. We said we wanted the sat radio. They said they would order 1 and put it in for us. A month went by and I had to pry info out of them but the bottom line was that the toyota camry has a different harness for the 2 different units and it could not be pluged into the car like you would of thought. They had to give us a differant car with the sat radio. it was about a 3,000 diffeence in the cars but we had it in writting. Like I said, just double check because cars are different.