1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just read article i hope is wrong,, said prius dropped by toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by moonmonkey, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonmonkey

moonmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    dont shoot the messenger but its an article on my yahoo home page that says prius dropped due to stagnant sales? hope its b.s.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Nonsense!

JeffD

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 ETC(SS), Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read that article, it was pretty bad, and you misinterpreted it. probably what they were hoping for.

they're not getting any traction dissing tesla, so they've added prius to their list. just the usual oil crowd, gleeful about low gas prices and red hot light truck sales.

unfortunately, yahoo news is much like the national enquirer.

#4 bisco, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Jon Senum likes this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually, the "article" does not say that Toyota is dumping the Prius and there is no link to any official source. Only the title hints to it to catch the eye. Moreover, the Prius is the forerunner of the TNGA platform which will be used in essentially every model in Toyota's line-up. So I doubt this article has any authority whatsoever and back-ups any claims with practically nothing.
    Actually Prius has been the best selling car in Japan for 5 months in a row and I don't expect June to be any different (numbers are not out yet from the Jama, Japanese Automotive Manufacturer's Association).

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    june was abysmal in the u.s., the article says toyota is dumping prius, meaning heavy discounts.
    still the numero uno hybrid, which they wordsmith to say 'not the leading hybrid it used to be'.

wall street hates eco anything. lets face it, they suck up most of the worlds natural resources, and they don't want anything to change.

pakitt likes this.
  7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The title of the article is then completely misleading. A classic of "analysists" that don't understand much of tech or any other field and pretend to tell the investor where to put their money. As long as they get the cost of the transaction you do with them. You know, banks and the such...

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. and there's another article on yahoo by prof muller at uc berkley. another anti ev nut.
    first sentence, 'ev's can only be recharged 500-1000 times.' funny, i'm at 1500+ and still going strong.:confused:
    i wonder which lobbying group got to his research wallet.

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect this is an extrapolation of earlier domestic rechargeable batteries. I remember my first battery drill (a SKIL in the '70s) used NiCa batteries and lasted well short of 500 charges. I also had domestic AA and C cells and a home charger for the children's toys in the '80s and '90s. Again, I didn't count them but I suspect well short of 500 charges for most.

However, the chargers were relatively unsophisticated, unlike as Prius Hybrid or PHEV or BEVs. Back then, the charger had instructions underneath with a chart of how long to charge the batteries for. So, into the charger went 4 batteries, one partly depleted, one dead flat, and the other 2 in-between. And we'd charge them ALL for the 8 hours as directed - which finished at 2 am, so it was 7 am (or 2 days later) when someone woke up to the fact that the batteries had been in too long. Many people just kept their drill, cordless phone, toothbrush etc on the charger 24 hrs a day, not allowing them to get into a useful discharge/recharge cycle. Under conditions like that, the batteries had a much shorter useful life than one which was controlled by a Smart Charger like happens with most these days.

Plus, there were vast quality differences between batteries - I've had some NiCa AA batteries in SOLAR garden lights which lasted short times, but others which I've still got in circulation which are at least 5 years old, and they go through a daily solar charge/nightly discharge cycle 365 times a year (which may be better for them than other more erratic use).

I suspect that TOYOTA, GM, TESLA etc are not only providing state-of-the-art quality with their batteries, but also they are operated under a strict regime where they aren't able to discharge or charge beyond limits which encourage maximum service life.

bisco likes this.
  10. RubberToe

RubberToe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius sales are down from 2015 levels...

[​IMG]

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.