1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just saw a commercial for AutoCerm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 4, 2008.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone seen this? It's called AutoCerm and claims to molecularly bond with the engines metal, reduce emissions, improve engine operations, and boost mileage.

Since I try to be fact-based, I'm foregoing opinion until I see factual data confirming or confuting their claims. It's glaringly obvious that their own website doesn't seem to present any factual, independent findings.
    Does anyone have any information?

AutoCerm – Dramatically Improve the Engine Performance of Your Car

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds a lot like Motor Silk.

[​IMG]

AutoCerm "is a ceramic catalyst that is embedded 2 microns into the sub-surface of the metal of an engine or drive train."

Motor Silk contains "Boron CLS Bond® (Crystal Lattice Structure) is one of the lowest friction lubricants known, and the near frictionless boundary layer it produces is a result of its macromolecular bound, layered crystal structure."

Both are one-time treatments.

But as many PCers said on my thread about Motor Silk, if it was so good, why wouldn't auto manufacturers install it at the factory to give them an edge?

3. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with that. If it worked, it would be in every car by now.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to have a Plymouth Reliant. I bought it lightly used and it was my sole means for transportation through college. I started using one quart of Duralube instead of one quart of oil with every oil change.

After 124k miles, the engine cracked as I was driving on I-65 North of Indy. Several miles later when I pulled into a rest stop and shut off the engine (well, it died on its own). When the tow truck guy came, we popped the hood and he saw the crack immediately. Said he had no idea how I could have driven that car from where I said it started to shutter to where it was.

I don't like admitting that I believe in gimmicks, but I have to wonder if the Duralube played some role in keeping me moving until I could safely pull over.