1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just took delivery on Friday of the PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DCDave, Apr 22, 2012.

1. DCDave

DCDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Compared with my 2006 Prius, there is a lot to learn. It's like most new electronics: the engineers took a few buttons or tabs and created innumerable combinations in order to call up more screens and displays than you'll ever need. I'll look through the various threads and see if anyone has compiled a list of the absolutely necessary readouts and short cuts - but I suspect that would change with each user. (The funniest thing I've encountered is that I can't get the Entune system to NOT start playing the music stored on my Smartphone whenever the audio is powered up.) If anyone is unhappy with, say, running a TV system with its various inputs and remotes - they'll have to adjust to the PiP (and to many new cars - though the plug-in has many more readouts that can be accessed).
    I would ask users whether they are doing anything to (of all things) remind them when the car is still plugged in (since you may not be able to see the plug as you get into the driver's seat). For now, I am putting a refrigerator magnet on the door - though I'm sure the car would warn me if I tried to turn it on.
    I am very impressed by the smooth ride and intense quiet of the PiP, even when the gas engine is being used. The mileage has been incredible - so far, exactly the kind of improvement I was hoping for over my old Prius in the short-trip, four-way-stop environment in which I live. In this kind of driving, so far I am getting 100 miles per gallon on many trips - so I have been encouraged by my dealership to put in some gasoline stabilizer (since it will sit there a bit)
    I will say that the GPS in this model is even more upset when I try to drive in Rock Creek Park than the '06 was. It just doesn't want me to use certain roads (I guess because there are restrictions based on the time of day) - and it tells me to make turns that don't exist. Frustrating.
    The guy picking up the car at the same time I was (we were the second and third owners at this dealership) had flown in from Chicago. He still had his rolling suitcase from the airplane, and was driving back home (where he couldn't yet get a PiP). That's dedication!
    Happy driving!

2. tofferr

tofferr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I flew into Buffalo and drove mine home to Chicago this weekend. It sounds like there are at least 5 or so PiPs around here.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome: all the best! car will not start if it's plugged in, no reminder needed.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not quite. You can power up the system while it is plugged in to do things like check charging status, fiddle with radio presets, futz with the navigation system, etc. But as soon as you try to put it into reverse or drive, it'll just beep at you and won't move. Just sits there in park. I don't believe you can put into neutral, but I didn't specifically test that.

1 person likes this.