1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just upgraded to a 2022 Prime from a 2013 PIP

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Wolfman33, May 15, 2023.

1. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Everyone,
    After approx. 7 years with a PIP, I decided to move into a newer model. I picked up a 2022 Prius Prime LE. I love the extra battery range. My PIP was getting about 10 miles on a charge and I could commute one way to work, but the return trip was on gas. Now I have enough range to make the round trip commute on electric charge with enough left over to make a side trip to lunch or a side trip to the grocery store on the way home and still not start the ICE.

It is the LE model, so I don't have all the features available, but the ones I have are a new world of technology to me. I've never driven a car with adaptive cruise control before. I'm going to get a lot of use out of that.

I'm not a big fan of the lane keeping, it feels like it's either wandering back and forth or I'm fighting it all the time. So mostly I'm leaving that off.

I'm going to miss the larger cargo space of the PIP, but on the other hand, the prime is so much sportier.

I have several questions, so I'll be posting those separately. But already I'm loving the new car.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! how many miles on her?

3. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    A lot. It was in service for 14 months so far and had 45K on her. I almost declined when I saw the mileage, but it looked very clean, so I figured it for all highway miles, and Toyota's are pretty durable.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree, and that shouldn't be detrimental in any way. sounds like you found a good one, all the best!

Wolfman33 likes this.
  5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    do you have the three mode selection buttons in the lower right of the center console? if so, with the car in READY mode, hold the center button until the EV charging light starts flashing. Next you'll notice the ICE kick on and stay on. Doing this allows the ICE to charge your HV battery for you!

I have a 2013 PIP with an advanced tech package and that push to use ICE to charge was not there at all!

Wolfman33 likes this.
  6. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    oh and... from what all i've gathered you should have a good engine with the new cooling features. The 2017 Prime I have doesn't have the new cooling features and I've already seen the coolant level drop low. The dealership told us nothing to worry about, I just need to ensure they made note somewhere they added fluid and said that.

Wolfman33 likes this.