1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just watched "Who Killed the Electric Car"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimeFor, Oct 2, 2006.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

The best movie I've seen in a long time by far.

I learned alot watching this.

I never knew anything about the GM EV1. Its a very sad story. I now HATE General Motors.

I'm also glad I have a Prius. I just wish I could do more. Where is the plug in Prius? This movie has inspired me too search that out.

I recommend this movie. Its on Torrent sites if your into that. Otherwise It comes to DVD November 14, 2006.

Its also showing in a few theaters still.

http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0489037/cinemashowtimes

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's reason I bought a Prius! Well, I probably would have bought a hybrid eventually anyway but it's the reason I traded in my perfectly wonderful Vibe years sooner than planned, and the reason I chose a Prius over any other hybrid out there. In 3 years when my warranty runs out I'm going PHEV!

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw this movie in downtown Montreal mid-August, shopped around, and bought a Prius mid-September.

Had there been a full-electric car with reasonable range, available to buy, I would have bought that instead. Feel Good Cars don't go over 35Mph and a tiny range. Almost...not quite.

Meanwhile, the other Gas Guzzler is a 2006 Yaris my wife drives, that we picked up late September. Not enough $$ for two hybrids just yet. So we went the next best route.

Might as well send Toyota $$ and the message that us green-minded consumers appreciate the good work they've done so far.

/nuf said

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Oct 5 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]328566[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome. How is the Yaris, anyway? I am in exactly the same situation. We will need a second car, but a second Prius would be a bit expensive.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rented the Prius (through my incorporation) four years. After which I'll buy it for the buy-back amount and add the EV stealth switch. Kits should be cheaper in 4 years from now. Perhaps change the batt-pack for Li-On.

My wife adores the Yaris, the fuel economy is outstanding, compared to our previous, a 2000 Corolla. Better motor, lighter car.

Noisy engine, but hey, Yaris isn't luxury. Less noisy than the Geo Metro 3-cyl I owned a few years back.

It's is surprisingly roomy, my nearly-six foot son, sitting behind me, isn't gnawning on his knee caps.

Two thumbs up!

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Oct 5 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]328588[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I have an 11 year old Tercel with 150,000 miles still going strong. But I will get a second Prius because I want to have access to the HOV lane on Long Island. Makes all the difference.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm. I had a Yaris 3-dr CE as a courtesy car. It's pretty darn roomy.

I just watched Who Killed the Electric Car. I highly recommend it too. Some of the footage can be seen in pictures in Darell's homepage (evnut.com).

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's the dedicated page to WKTEC.
    http://evnut.com/wktec_doc.htm

You can even see me consorting with the director and star. :) In theory, the DVD should have my name in the credits... was left out of the released movie!

As Chris will quickly admit - the movie could have been far better. Considering the deadlines and budget, it really came out great though! For me, the best part is that the movie allows the general public to see these cars that few knew existed. Even fewer knew that we drivers actually REALLY liked them, and wanted to keep them. The press, of course, has repeated the company line of, "there was no market, nobody really wanted them."

Just ask somebody who lived through the EV1 ordeal, and you'll hear what REALLY happened.

Here's my EV1 page:
    http://evnut.com/ev1.htm

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes me want an EV now.. or at the best compromise (sorry Darell), a plug-in Prius!

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 7 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]329709[/snapback]</div>
    No apologies needed! I'm all for *any* vehicle that can be charged from an off-board source. I truly think that a PHEV will be the vehicle that gets us back to BEVs. It is the perfect transition car to get people comfortable with electric power while still having the warm-fuzzy feeling of gasoline sloshing around in the tank. :)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Yeah right. I just want extended EV range :p. There's nothing cooler than cruising around with the windows down in EV Drive mode and have people stare haha. Ok, I'm getting a little vain lol. Besides, using the gas engine for highway speeds isn't a bad idea so having enough juice for city driving would be perfect.