1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just went on a test drive...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pot Sticker, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Pot Sticker

Pot Sticker New Member

Hello. I've been reading EVERYTHING on the web I can find about the Prius for the past month or so. I've been so impressed by it I decided today that I should just test drive one. I called up our local Toyota place and they were out of the '05s (not suprised) but they had an '04 on the lot with 15k miles on it equipped with package 5.

I really wanted to drive an '05 but figured I'd try this one out anyway since there isn't much of a difference. Well, it was awesome...I am SOOO in love with these cars now. As soon as I started driving I tried to put all the technical stuff out of my mind and just cruise around town as if I were in a normal car. It's great! The handling is nice, the ride is pretty smooth, BIG interior for a car of its size, and it actually had some decent power. I even took it on the highway for a few miles and it seems like any other little 4-banger car out there, not really fast but not slow either.

My favorite part is the dash design, it's just so cool. The computer in the center is neat looking and it's fun to watch the power diagrams to see what the car is doing. So much fun, I actually had a problem keeping my eyes on the road the first 10 minutes I was in it because I was watching the screen. The speedometer under the windshield is cool too, you never have to look around, as long as you're looking at the road you can see your speed...great idea. The shifter is pretty fancy. I did have a problem bumping it with my knee as I got in the car though, but I'm too tall (6'4") so I'm used to stuff like that...it's a very minor gripe. Other than bumping my knee getting in, I had no problems getting comfortable. The seats felt good, had more legroom than other cars of its size too.

As for the hybrid system, it's just great. It feels and drives like a regular car. Cruise around without punching the throttle and it purrs on the electric motor, punch it and you can feel the engine kick in. I was expecting to hear more noises with the engine cutting off and comming on, but I could barely hear it. I felt a slight vibration but that's it. The brakes seemed better than most cars I've driven, and it is very nimble as far as handling goes. Very nice.

I'm gonna get one but the only problem is I have to wait a YEAR until I get back from China. I'm moving there next month for a year for a job and then comming back to finish college and get the Prius with the money I earned. Oh well, then they'll have the '06s and hopefully the wait time won't be so long. I've just been reading so much about them I HAD to drive one before I left. Just wanted to share my story, and say that this is a nice forum y'all got here. I'll definitely be on here more often when I actually get my car.

2. finman2

finman2 New Member

Toyota is planning (rumor mill?) to make Prii in China. Why not get one there and report back to us!

Glad u loved the Prius, it is the coolest car going. And driving is believing.

Good luck in China.

3. Pot Sticker

Pot Sticker New Member

I heard about that China rumor too. If that happens I'll definitely try to check out the plant over there. Can't buy one there though because I'm pretty sure foreigners aren't allowed to buy/operate a motor vehicle there. Even citizens don't have cars unless they have lotsa money. Primary mode of transportation will be a bicycle, which is fine with me.

However, I was talking to the Toyota guy about that and he said he wasn't sure about China...but by the time I buy one they may be making them in the new plant in San Antonio. That would rock if I could buy a car that was built in a brand new plant in my own state! Some of my college buddies have already been hired there to install and maintain the automated manufacturing systems.