1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just what did I do to get this error message

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, May 6, 2007.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

I was shopping and parked the car. Locked it and went in the store. Came out, unlocked and put
    stuff in, locked it and went to another store. Came back started the car and left. At first stop sign I see
    a message on the MFD that said something like "If you wish to charge the battery put the car in park and
    not neutral." I know the car was turned off while parked because the SKS did not chirp and I distinctly remember the door lock system working. I turned off the car and restatred and eveything worked fine.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You had the door partially open.
    _H*

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Don't worry, unless your screen goen blank or you start seeing other strange messages; for example that the radio is off (when it's playing music), check the connection to the air conditioner, etc. The latter are signs of impending MFD failure.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, Hobbit's right. That is by far one of the least helpful error messages ever devised anywhere in the world.

Do this: turn your car on. Put it in [P] but leave your foot on the brake. Open your driver's door. You will see the exact same error message.

It's possible that the hatch wasn't completely closed.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 6 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]436349[/snapback]</div>
    Microsoft's error messages aren't even that bad!

Tom

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 6 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]436352[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's a stretch! :)

7. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Thanks but I cannot see how it could be that. I turned the car off and restarted it and everything was fine without ever opening the door. Plus I just tried the suggestion and get the error message but it also has an exclamation point and alarm beeping. I didn't have either of those. Any other way to get this message?

8. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Any chance it could have been bumped into neutral? I have found the shift knob to move quite easily. It would only take a nudge from the right to the left?

9. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ May 6 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]436489[/snapback]</div>
    No because I was approaching a stop sign when I saw it. I stopped and actually put it in neutral with no change before restarting.