1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just when you think the Prius had a COOL Nav System...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swampthing, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. pshady

pshady New Member

Yup, I work for them, and this unit is going to kick butt.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No one has yet to install an AVIC-N1 in their Prius. Although I think the N2 with XM NavTraffic would definitely be a useful feature. So much for the RL with the first factory SatNav with Traffic Alerts :p

4. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did a MORPACE auto reasearch study... although my Prius was out numbered by the Lexus' in the parking lot... there were a lot of: Would you like to have questions that my BC didn't... like the XM.. On Star.. the MFD with rerouting due to traffic problems on the route..as well ad the iPod... I assume that Toyota is looking and asking... it was funny, one question let me build a car... an mine came out looking like my BC Prius..SHOCK

Bob Andersen

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

traffic info is definitely the 'missing piece' in the nav system. especially around NYC, that could help immensely. it seems there's ALWAYS something going on trying to get off long island.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, that's one of the reasons I moved down here. That, and potholes, and taxes.

Though the traffic is starting to build up on US19 and the Veterans.

7. edrum

edrum New Member

It's pretty useless though to somebody who doesn't live and drive in one of the 20 designated metropolitan areas that it covers.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hmmm.... this gives me an idea.

Step 1:

1. Everybody buy the NavTraffic system for all makes and models.
    2. Establish and 800 number or website so folks can pinpoint traffic problems and reroute.
    3. Nate decides he's late for the Broncos game, and calls the 800 number multiple times to record accidents that aren't there and everyone clears the road in front of me.

8)

Evil, I know, but how is it possible to "authenticate" an accident report? What about rubbernecking? Gridlock?

I'll wait to see how useful it is. This also assumes there are better routes that are available. If there were better routes, wouldn't I be on them?

Nate

9. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nate, in LA they call this SIGALERT (sp)... I thought that it was a feature of XM or OnStar that is already in use.... as far behind in road and traffic managment as the Denver area is... you probably will always be late to the Bronco game...

Bob Andersen

10. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dan... Fla is the ONLY state that I flunked the drivers written test in... about 1970 Denny's sent me to open a restaurant in Daytona Beach.. I got caught speeding with CA tags on my car... told the cop I was just passing thru.. he hauled me to the jail, run by Sheriffs, who all said: Hi Denny.. oops busted twice... I took the written test without reading the book... we didn't have lost POINTS for bad driving in CA at the time.. missed those questions... and the ONE that did me in was " at 60 miles per hour how far will your car skid on ice"... give me a break.. this was Florida... shortly after I was sent to Atlanta... man there test was much easier... at one time I had four active licenses.. a CA, GA, MI and an Ohio.. easier to get than give back.... :lol:

Bob Andersen

11. singpilot

singpilot Junior Member

One word, one site.

I have one of these on the upper left window.

Spectacular.

www.trafficguage.com

12. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    singpilot, that is too cool...too bad they don't have it for the Denver area

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So this thing is going to have maps for the driver and DVD playback for the rear-seat passengers all in a single unit???

Sounds to me like they're pandering to the a-holes who want to watch movies while driving. Saying that the DVD playback is intended for the rear-seat passengers is pretty thin considering that the primary function of the device is navigation for the driver.

One more reason to stay off the road in cities big enough to have XM traffic information. Fortunately there won't be much of a market for it here in Fargo.

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan, similar system is already available it call V.I.C.S (Vehicle Information and Communication System).
    Like Prius with Navi package is already equipped with V.I.C.S system.
    Its really handy specially want avoid traffic jam or related to road problems. But not like after market Navi, OEM toyota Navi did not equipped with detour program when ever traffic congestion is popping up.