1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JVC HD radio add-on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I purchased the JVC HD radio add-on unit from Best Buy they other day. I got it with the "professional" installation kit. It gets power from a cigarette lighter, gives input to the stereo through the (aux-in) plug in the center consol, and need to be connected to the Prius stereo antennae to get its signal.

So, I need to get to the antenae input on the Prius head unit. I have the XM radio install instructions by Eddie Bell that describes how to take apart the dashboard. Will I actually need to remove the head unit in order to get to the antenae plug?

I plan on doing a "how to" for this unit after I get it installed.

BTW it cost $150 for the reciever and the install kit (as a package).

I hate the idea of paying a monthly fee for satelite radio, plus I like my local stations. I just want better sound quality.

2. jhall

jhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am not sure, but I have read you probably need a "more sensitive" antenna than the stock Prius to get HD Radio. I have been looking at the HD Dice (http://www.diceelectronics.com/hd_integration.htm) to add HD Radio (it comes with an antenna and nice instructions from what I can tell). There seems to be plenty of info about accessing pretty much every nook and cranny of the Prius in these forums (many in the knowledge base section).

Looks like this:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...&hl=antenna
    and this:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...&hl=antenna
    might be of some help to you.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Oct 30 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]532474[/snapback]</div>

3. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Oct 30 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]532474[/snapback]</div>
    I did an HD install and love it. I use a shark fin antenna and it works well in the Los Angeles/OC area.

The Prius has an antenna amplifier that needs power. It's off in Aux-in mode, so you will need to "hot wire" the orange cable that is paired with the antenna wire at the back of the HU. It is not hard to remove the radio. The hardest part is pulling the air-vents. Once that's done, the MFD pulls out and flips over onto the dash after removing two 10mm bolts. The radio comes out after removing four bolts and two screws that hold the door on the little compartment under it.

The HD unit I used (Directed Electronics) has a built-in antenna splitter that made installation easy. I put the tuner right behind and under the HU and put the controller on the dash over the steering wheel so I have poor-man's steering wheel controls (reaching through the spokes to change stations :) )

Good luck with your installation.