1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

K-12 Public Schools: How Good/Bad In Your Experience?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, May 1, 2006.

?
  1. Public: 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Public: 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Public: 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Public: 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Public: 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Private (2 or more of last 6 yr): above avg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Private: average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Private: below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Public/Private Mix, Varied Rating (comment below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Home schooled (comment below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Cannot generalize

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Very few topics spark the opinions/generalizations that the quality of our public schools does. Especially for the parents of school-age kids, school quality is almost always one of the top three considerations when moving. But even childless, since everyone's taxes support education, most people have an opinion or impression.

Understandably, many people do not have a good grasp of the overall picture of secondary education across the US. All some of us know is what we read in the papers---and that's usually negative news.

So I'm asking people to register an opinion based on THEIR school experience---or, if they prefer, that of their child(ren) now attending school---taking into account their perception of schools "in general" at the time.

If you think the overall quality of public education has deteriorated significantly since you attended, here's the place to say so. Ditto if you think schools have improved.

If you had a special experience, such as schooling on a military base in a foreign country, or schooling by alien abductors, that can be noted here, too. (Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.)

Assumption: public schools attended by people in this forum are probably at least slightly above average, especially taking into consideration schools in heavily urbanized areas where the impact of large numbers of unmotivated and/or low-achieving students is felt.

For those wishing to register their opinion of private education they received, I provided only three options, and they should have attended private schools at least TWO years of their final SIX (7-12). Those having attended both kinds of schools and wanting to register widely different opinions of the two also have that choice.

Or are questions like this simply too big to get a handle on?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a particularly good school district despite nauseatingly low pay for our teachers.

Like you I hear all the press about how bad the schools are and how poorly our kids are performing. And I don't buy it.

I think the schools are doing a great job. I think kids today learn much more much earlier than I ever did. My boys' entire kindergarten classes are reading and writing as we approach year's end.

My gut also tells me that the majority of these kids that are not doing well are not doing well at no or little fault to the schools. How many of those kids are being read to every night by their parents? How many are held to a standard by their parents and face consequences if they fail to meet that standard? I see parent's as the ones being primarily responsible for thier kids' education. The schools provide the structure and a systematic way to learn.

3. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tulsa Public Schools are both fantastic and poor in educational performance, depending on the school. I agree with Evan, it is all about the parents/family/community and has nothing to do with socio-economic status or racial demographics.

At the poor performing schools, teachers and volunteers report that the families are completely uninvolved: no PTA membership, no parent/teacher conference attendance, no nutrition at home, no healthy activities or sleep habits. There are even reports that some families denigrate their own children if they try to do well at school, calling them geeks and know-it-alls. It's heartbreaking to my in-laws, who volunteer at some of these schools, to see 5th graders struggling to read at 1st and 2nd grade levels. Primary fault is with the parents/guardians.

On the other hand, the same school system has some of the best schools in the region. French and Spanish immersion and advanced math and science in elementary school. 5th grade student exchange programs to Mexico and France. PTA membership at the 200% level (parents and grandparents all join). Kids in Duke TIP and baccalaureate programs. Guess what? The parents and family are always there, in the background, virtually shadowing their children. Not controlling or manipulating, but supporting and encouraging.

I went to some of the "best" Tulsa Public Schools in by childhood. My kids go to the "best" Tulsa Public Schools today. Today's good public schools are MUCH better that those of my childhood. The poor ones are the same, no better or worse.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my early days in education were awful.

my kindergarten testing should have placed me in first grade, but they didn't believe i knew what i was talking about, they thought my mom sat me down and told me what to say... (uh... yeah, she knew exactly what they were going to ask too :rolleyes:) so into kindergarten i went.

i was constantly asking my teachers until about fourth grade when classes were going to be challenging? that sounds to me like a student who needs additional work to do before they just get bored and apathetic. i didn't get anything until 4th grade, when i had the first proactive teacher i'd ever met. they should have put me in middle school math in 5th or 6th grade. instead i wasn't putting in any effort whatsoever and scored highest in my class while sleeping through most of it.

middle school got much better, and in high school i finally had the options to challenge myself, even had the option of taking classes at the local university my senior year. would have loved to take advantage of that but my situation didn't allow it.

DH had a very similar experience in that school system, except he got to be one of the bored and burned out ones. no effort required... he just stopped showing up to class. he's always been interested in physics and i know he could be into lasers or any number of other cool things he likes, but by the time that became an option he was too far out of the academic loop.

that's not the kind of impact i want my schools having on my children.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 1 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]247908[/snapback]</div>
    It is interesting isn't it. Consider a system that eliminates 'grade levels' (i.e. first grade, second grade, etc) as they currently exist and, instead, moves children to varioius classes as their ability dictates. Those who can accelerate will be accelerated, those who need extra help will recieve it. Right now the system dictates that the teachers teach to just above the 'lowest common denominator'--thus above the level of 2 or 3 of the kids (who thus get 'left behind'), but below the level of many of the other kids...thus leaving them unchallenged and eliminating opportunities for them to really advance.

My boys are excellent examples.
    Both are bright kids (twin 6 year old kindergarteners) in different classrooms in the same school. One son is challenged. He's given work the other kids don't get. It started with challenging books to read to me or his mom and we would sign off that he'd read them. Once he went through the most challenging books in her collection she moved him to books without words that he now had to write the story for in a special notebook she made just for him. He writes complete sentences describing the story in the book as he sees it. It makes him learn to write, it challenges him creatively and he's accelerating ahead of his class.

My other son gets no homework. He's proud to be the best reader in his class, yet seems to get no extra help or attention from his teacher. His class did start coming home with 'bag books' occasionally. A book in a zip-lock to read to/with the parents. He's been reading at a 2nd grade+ level since he started kindergarden. What book did he come home with? Some 4 page long thing with big pictures and 3 words per page "The pig is happy." kinda thing!? Did the teacher completely not realize that my son can read?

We read to and/or have the kids read nearly every night..books that challenge them. Books that have words they don't know but must learn. We expect the school is doing their part in some ways, but we absolutely believe that learning starts with reading and the better and more well read one is the further one is capable of going in life. And we'll assure that happens. But if there are parents out there simply reading "the pig is happy" with their kindergartener they, most assuredly, will not advance the way they're capable of.

Anyway, I drifted a bit. Like I say though, I think the schools are good and that kids are learning more faster today than they did when I was a kid (you know, dinosaurs took us to school, stone wheels on the prehistoric Prius, etc). But that's not to say that i don't think things couldn't be better. It would, however, take something dramatic and revolutionary to make it happen. My kids were 'tested' to see if they qualified for special advance classes, but these tests didn't test whether they were ahead of their grade level, they tested their IQ--both were above average, but neither met the threshold of the testing. The thing is that someone of average intelligence can still be a faster learner and need advance placement and someone of high IQ may need to remain at the standardized grade level if they aren't self-motivated or motivated by the family to learn more.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ May 1 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]247905[/snapback]</div>
    I strongly disagree that it has nothing to do with socio-economic status. I think that, if you are a single parent and have to work 2 jobs just to put food on the table, then you are in a much worse position to spend 1 hour a night reading to/with your child. I think that the parents can/should always be encouraging, but I think that a lot of parents have a really hard choice to make between spending enough time with their children and paying the rent.

I'm not saying that the proper balance can't be found; I'm just saying that it's much harder for some people than for others.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

At http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ you can see Newsweek's latest list of the top 1,000 high schools in the U.S.

Anyone see their kid's school on the list? (By way of full disclosure, my son's school is in the top 100, (see "Smug" in Today's New Words) which is why our taxes are exhorbitant)

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 1 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]247981[/snapback]</div>
    Complete URL is:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

I was fortunate to go to a good NY school that emphasized Regents courses. I learned a lot there. Now I have two sons, one in college and one a junior in high school. We're lucky to have an excellent local school district. The teachers put in a lot of personal effort and set high standards. We may be very small, but our schools produce regularly some top scholars and atheletes. My oldest son got into the very competetive Univ. of Washington, in part due to the academic training level of our advanced high school students. So I'd say that some high schools are doing a great job still.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our schools reflect our community. Problems don't fall far from the tree. <_<

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

A lot of our perception of schools (public usually) are from the media...who like to sensationalize everything. From listening to my kids talk throughout school, and given the partial success and partial failure of their education, and attending various school functions...I would say the public schools where I live, kids went to same ones I went to, not much has changed.

Here, kids who want an education get it, those that don't want one, don't.

I feel sorry for kids who have no opportunity for a good education due to the school environment itself. Here, it is there for the taking.

(Midwest city of about 22,000 with below avg. family incomes and struggling schools)

11. dannored

dannored New Member

It is all about individual motivation. The brightest and most motivated students will find a way to succeed in almost any school setting, as long as they aren't concerned about their individual safety. Those lacking motivation, the bored, and the burned out will gain the mininum education from even the greatest system. Many leaders in both business and government believe that the education of students is analagous to producing a product. The individual mind is nowhere near as predictable as the raw materials used in the manufacturing process. The role of the parent can be crucial in helping the student to develop the motivation necessary to excel in school. Most teachers do their best to motivate kids. My experience in school was good. I would say that today's students have many more opportunities with AP exams and Dual Enrollment in Community Colleges.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

Individual motivation is very important, especially when you are talking about average schools - not really great and not really terrible. Problems arise when the schools are really terrible. On Long Island, schools range from those with graduation rates of 100% to those that graduate only 20%. In the bad schools, children do have to fear for their safety. Metal detectors are a necessity. Children are very influenced by their environments. If all their friends are learning piano, playing chess and taking AP courses to get into Harvard, they will be motivated. If their friends are hanging out at the mall and taking drugs and dropping out they will not.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lol, not even in the top 1060something!

go figure...

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My kid goes to a very good highly ranked K-12 private school. Steve Case and Barack Obama are alumni along with many others and currently Michelle Wie is one grade above. My niece went to a small PUBLIC school (not much of a ranking, if any) on an outer island and graduated top of her class and received a full FOUR year scholarship to Dartmouth. So you never know. It's the school, but also the parents and the kid along with many factors that contribute to the success and life the child will ultimately achieve.

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ May 4 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]250078[/snapback]</div>
    Only 8 votes? Pathetic!

*kick*

16. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 6 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]250801[/snapback]</div>
    For the life of me; I can't figure what the question is that the votes would represent.