1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

K frame repair/ replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Novacog, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Novacog

Novacog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace the k frame. I found a video on removing the control arm which looks fairly straight forward but I'm not sure what else will have to be removed to replace the k frame. Alternatively do you think it would be possible for a shop to repair this by welding it?

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure it's possible to weld it, not sure if most would touch it because of liability concerns. Replacing the K frame would involve unbolting a bunch of stuff- control arms, sway bar, any engine mounts, steering rack, frame to body bolts, etc. As long as there's not much rust then it's a straight forward job. Then have alignment done.

Assuming that it took a hit in that corner (pothole? can't think of another way that got broken), I would also look closely at the control arm and steering knuckle for being bent.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 mr_guy_mann, Feb 1, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Novacog likes this.
  3. Novacog

Novacog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was a salvage title, guessing it was already weakened from the accident it was in (same side of the car) and finally gave out a few years after I bought it. Times like this I wish I had access to a lift and air tools. Thank you for the advice!