1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

K&N airfilters for better mileage and horsepower

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dr Rocket, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

I have used K&N airfilters on other cars and have noticed an immediate increase in horsepower and probably miles per gallon. These cost $40 to $50 compared to the regular Toyota version $25. They have a 1 million mile guarantee and never have to be replaced. Every 50,000 miles, you clean them.

They do not make a filter for the Prius and we need your help. Please go to the following web site and request they make the filter for us. Think about it, we would get a superior air filter for the life of our car for slightly less than the cost of 2 regular filters, get better gas mileage and more horsepower.

Please fill out K&N's on line form at http://www.knfilters.com/products_needed/default.aspx

2. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I'm wondering .... would they void the warranty for using one of these filters instead of a regular air filter ?

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was thinking of getting the K&N filter too if it's available. But after looking at the ISO 5011 test report posted on the other thread, I guess not.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

5. c4

c4 Active Member

The K&N makes *zero* difference to power on the Prius.. The car has a low displacement, low RPM engine that simply does not need a lot of air flow.. In fact, based on Julian Edgar's experiences with installing a turbocharger, you have to go miles out of your way to fool the computer into opening up the throttle and making use of any extra air..

That said, I do have a K&N in my Prius (a Classic, which a filter is available for, and also how I can say unequivocally that it makes absolutely no difference to power), but I only use it during the winter months when particulate count is low and moisture content is high (due to surface tension, moisture can seriously plug up a conventional fibre filter, and I do see water trails inside the air box in the wet months). In the spring, I swap out the K&N for a new Toyota filter and the K&N gets cleaned and put away until the next winter..

6. c4

c4 Active Member

Actually, after seeing that page, I wanted to know where they got that "no name" brand filter.. It seems to be the best trade-off between the almost too efficient OEM filter and the aftermarket models- low initial resistance, but very good efficiency and dirt holding ability..

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    haha... yeah, i was going to say that even the "no name" brand beat the K&N, but it also beat many other filters.

Another thing that turns me off is how they respond to complains when the filter is responsible for failures of components on the car.

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/...News_ID=126&sm=

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a K&N (adapted) in my '04 Prius now for the past few thousand miles. I've had no problems, but neither can I claim any noticable benefits. I think it will be nice to not have to worry about changing the air filter for a very long time, but the benefit ends there.