1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kalid Sheikh Mohammed

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Mar 15, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/15/guantanam...mmed/index.html

above is the link to the cnn lead story today about KSM. He has confessed to being involved in the 9/11 attack, to beheading Daniel Pearl, and lots of other stuff.

What do you think should be done? Should he be transferred out of Gitmo and here to the US to stand trial or should he stay at Gitmo and be tried in a military court? If convicted, should he get the death sentence?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part 1--I don't know if it matters..
    Part 2--Yes, he should be put to death....but I don't know the legality of that....not that that's mattered to this administration.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, i think a military court would be better - less press, less of a chance for him to try to make himself out to be a martyr. Either way, he'll receive the death penalty - i doubt there is any American who wouldn't give it to him, regardless of what evidence was presented in his defense.

That being said, it has to make you wonder why he's confessing now, after 4 years in American custody (Captured on March 1, 2003)... If he is brought back to the US for trial in a civilian court, I'm sure his lawyer(s) will be pursuing every avenue possible to get this confession thrown out - statements made under duress, he was coerced into confessing for acts he didn't commit, whatever. Under intense media coverage, such claims by the defense would look extremely bad for our country - a closed military trial would be much, much better.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I disagree... it would look better if they saw how open our legal system is..... err should be. If he was coerced into a false confession and whatnot... that's something that should be known. I think people would show more respect by not having the trial done in a closed manner. We're a at a very low point - hardly anything could make us look much worse.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would prefer to seem him tried on our legal system. While this would give him some chance to "preach" it would also show the rest of the world that 1) we care about having a legal system and 2) what a deranged and lonely man he is thus making him a lot less of a martyr (look at the 11th hijacker from 9/11. I can't even remember his name. I do remember that he was much less scary and more pitiful after seeing him in court)

I'm against the death penalty so I would prefer to see him rot away in solidary confinement somewhere, fast forgotten by the world, but as our legal system still allow for death penalty I'm sure he would be tried, convicted and put to death

As long as we have this administration I doubt they will try anyone anywhere where they don't already control the outcome. I think that hurts our international standing and that we sink down to the wrong level.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Keep him in Gitmo in isolation from others while the US military justice lawyers spend the next 10 years preparing a case against him. I don't think 'speedy trial' is part of the plan until he gets back here to the US.

Hopefully he'll die before anyone sees him in court.

If you bring him here, in 3 or 4 years the ACLU and activist liberal judges will have him out walking the street on technicalities of some sort and he'll be back to masterminding things.

Somehow 'Fair trial' never finds a need to be fair to the real evidence in the case and the victims of the crime... only fair to the individual and if someone forgot to read this guy his miranda before he was taken in... or if he wasn't given HBO and a bubble bath... forget that he did a bunch of horrible stuff.

I'm not sure if this guy is for real or if he's just trying to be an idiot by taking credit for this stuff... so I would just spend the time trying to authenticate what he says while he sits there right where he's at.

Or.. until Hillary or Hussein is elected president and lets them all go.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 15 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]406027[/snapback]</div>
    Hold the presses..... common ground here.

8. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Mar 15 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]406029[/snapback]</div>
    .. and I bring you, President Billary Clinton.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Mar 15 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]406043[/snapback]</div>
    would you be willing to divulge all intelligence information used to capture him, interogate him, or associated with his history of being an enemy of the US of A?

Why would you give him a bully pulpit at all?

Would trying him in public change the worlds opinion of us?

Do you honestly his people will forget about him? Do you not think they will try to arrange a way to free him - perhaps and exchange of prisoners? Do you think that his being allowed to live puts others at greater danger because of this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Mar 15 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]406029[/snapback]</div>
    West Virginia? If he were coerced? West Virginia?

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I think Bush should admit that OBL wasn't the mastermind of either of the WTC attacks.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Rightards, one and all:

Torture is used on these prisoners. WHAT, exactly, do you find comforting, let alone newsworthy, in a full confession ?!??

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Mar 15 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]406134[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on what you plan to confess.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 15 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]406131[/snapback]</div>
    who was, the CIA :lol: Or the Mossad B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Mar 15 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]406134[/snapback]</div>
    so? You think he is mister innocent? Forgot, the CIA was behind 9/11 :p And Daniel Pearl was beheaded by the Mossad :D

they should have just offed him.

leftards or defeatists or anti-Americans all - why do you bother living here? We disgust you, we of the small minds, we of the God fearing, we of the humans are not heating up the planet, we of America and its principles are worth fighting and dying for, we of the UN is worthless opinion - why do you stay here when our numbers are increasing as yours are diminishing, why?

14. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 15 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]406142[/snapback]</div>
    I assume it's your increasing numbers that just lost you control of both houses of Congress. :D

But seriously, is anyone else skeptical that he has now confessed to just about everything possible, ie., shoebomber and personally beheading Daniel Pearl?

I don't doubt for a minute he's guilty of some of this and needs to be in jail forever or executed, but the breadth of this confession sure sounds like torture at work.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Mar 15 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]406162[/snapback]</div>
    numbers - liberals on average have smaller families and when they do get pregnant are more likely to terminate it; liberals tend to be more pessimistic and do not think its kind to bring babies into a world so dark.
    look at demographics in the US and tell me the growth areas - you might find they correspond to conservative states. I cannot remember the figures, but there will be a significant shift in numbers in the next 20-30 years.

and here is the huge rub - distrust the good guys and give the bad guy the benefit of the doubt. you see evil and call it good. perhaps he confessed two years ago and we used the info to do stuff? are you silly enough to think he just confessed yesterday???? please, wake up. he has probably been talking for a LONG time and the data we got for him is now fully exploited. if that is not what happened that those tasked with protecting us are more naive than you.

and if we tortured him - BRILLIANT. it is my hope he suffered like the POS he is. my friends were tortured on top of the WTC's waiting for their death, or jumping to their death from a 1/4 mile high, or burning to death - as far as i am concerned he needs to be made an example of. you want to do this to us, you will suffer worse. get this and understand this - you are dealing with people who think differently than you, that think it is Gods work they are doing, that its ok to maim and murder and slaughter, thats its ok to treat women like cattle - wake up - you need to before more innocent Americans are murdered. they know no humanity - like you do

16. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I heard he also confessed to being on a grassy knoll 40+ years ago. :)

Seriously - he's held in a secret CIA prison network for an undislosed amount of time, with no rights, no hope, enduring who knows what, and I'm supposed to just accept this "confession" as true?

Before you jump all over this, I'm not commenting on WHAT was done or not done; I'm questioning the veracity of the product of unknown activities (re: the confession from likely torture) and the certainty that some people express: well if he said he did it, he must have.

Given the resources and time, anyone can be made to say anything. I'm less interested in his "confession" about what he did (which smacks very much of an attempt to boost popularity polls - "hey, look, we got the guy! Bin Laden was just a front, and we knew it all along"), and more in what information he can give/has given to help disable AQ. Not that I think that should be released (ala Geraldo's troop movement fiasco) - but I'm VERY skeptical of any "confession" coming out out of this...

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]406187[/snapback]</div>
    he said you were there too

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, i know we agreed at the beginning of this thread, but you're just undermining the position with every post...

Keep on topic. Don't go off on a rant at liberals. Don't go off on your "good versus evil" speech.

I agree with the other posters here that I'm rather skeptical of the confession - I still think he should be tried and, in all likelihood executed.

The secret CIA prisons, torture of individuals for information, etc, holding individuals without trial, etc. is what the bad guys always do in movies.

Now, under the guise of "National Security" we're doing the same - and everyone knows it. I have no doubt that there was a limited amount of it happening before, but now it's so widely publicized, and IMO looks extremely bad, both locally and internationally.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 15 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]406202[/snapback]</div>
    you could be right - it might look bad - but reality is that there is a real bad world out there and sometimes you have to do stuff to protect yourself. i trust overall the people we have to do what is not only right to do but at times necessary. i am not willing to tie my hands behind my back, or place ourselves at a disadvantage when the stakes are so high.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 15 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]406011[/snapback]</div>
    I think the guy is copping out to as many terrorist acts as possible to lull authorities into thinking they got their man. He knows he's done as far as outside activities.

Wildkow