1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Karl Rove To Be Indicted in Plame Leak Case

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, May 13, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

BREAKING | Jason Leopold: Karl Rove Indicted on Charges of Perjury,
    Lying to Investigators
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051306W.shtml

Jason Leopold reports that on Friday, May 12, Fitzgerald served
    attorneys for former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove with an
    indictment charging the embattled White House official with perjury and
    lying to investigators related to his role in the CIA leak case, and
    instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 hours to get his
    affairs in order, high level sources with direct knowledge of
    themeeting said Saturday morning.

2. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 13 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]254933[/snapback]</div>

I can't wait for the perp walk!

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

The house of cards may fall, but the mess left behind is massive and will cost every citizen a part of their future. TEXAS DEATH ROW FOR THE CONSPIRITORS!

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I expect the final legacy of the Bush administration will be to PARDON EVERYONE involved in everything. Face it...he really doesn't care what anyone thinks, he does what he wants. Libby, Rove, DeLay, Lay, the only jail time they'll serve will be between the time of conviction and when Bush leaves office and does his pardons.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 14 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]255206[/snapback]</div>
    You understand this is about the "leak" case, right? With the rumored indictment being for lying to a grand jury?

And you want the death penalty?

Pretty scary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 14 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]255299[/snapback]</div>
    Could happen! I often wonder if we should try to limit the power of the President in this regard, but the thought of ruining their "legacy" is often enough to prevent the more obvious pardons from happening.

One thing is certain: the criminal justice system should not be used as a political tool by either party. As much as you hate these folks, don't you deep down want to make sure they are really guilty before you jail them (or put them to death as one poster suggested).

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anymore on this?

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

"don't you deep down want to make sure they are really guilty before you jail them"

There is an obvious solution. Send them to Guantanamo where there is no need to prove anyone guilty of anything.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Hmm, I guess my newspaper is too small to report such a revelation. Still listening.

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ May 17 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]256921[/snapback]</div>
    That's why we have the internet. Isn't it great?

10. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I have tried to check back through sources, as (I'm sure) have several thousand others.

The story was broken on Saturday by Truthout (truthout.org), which in turn cited independent investigative journalist Jason Leopold. Leopold cited "two unnamed officials" in the Administration.

When Truthout was swarmed with inquiries Monday, it released the statement that it had confirmed the story with Leopold and one other source, and stood by it.

I can't discover anything beyond that.

My guess is that the indictment was in fact handed to Rove's attorney, Luskin, and that what then happened was some last-second maneuver by Rove/Luskin vis-a-vis Fitzgerald. I think there's some kind of showdown going on between Fitzgerald and Bush/Rove, akin to what happened between Nixon and Archibald Cox leading up to the "Saturday night massacre".

Maybe it's not that dramatic.

11. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Until Amy Goodman reports it in Democracy Now, it's rumor. And there's not even a whisper of a Rove indictment anywhere in Democracy Now since May 12. Amy would not sit on THIS story of stories if all its chicks were well and truly hatched.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

Incidentally, assuming Bush evades impeachment and holds White House occupancy to the last day, it's a serious misreading of the guy to think he'd pardon anyone other than himself. He's got the emotional maturity of a psychopathic three year old, and holds and nurses grudges. Any of his team who find themselves "out" of the Bush circle he will consider only got there by "betrayal" and should count themselves lucky if they DON'T wind up in Guantanamo.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Update on the Rove Indictment Story

By Marc Ash,

Wed May 17th, 2006 at 12:52:48 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

For the past few days, we have endured non-stop attacks on our credibility, and we have fought hard to defend our reputation. In addition, we have worked around the clock to provide additional information to our readership. People want to know more about this, and our job is to keep them informed. We take that responsibility seriously.

Here's what we now know: I spoke personally yesterday with both Rove's spokesman Mark Corallo and Rove's attorney Robert Luskin. Both men categorically denied all key points of our recent reporting on this issue. Both said, "Rove is not a target," "Rove did not inform the White House late last week that he would be indicted," and "Rove has not been indicted." Further, both Corallo and Luskin denied Leopold's account of events at the offices of Patton Boggs, the law firm that represents Karl Rove. They specifically stated again that no such meeting ever occurred, that Fitzgerald was not there, that Rove was not there, and that a major meeting did not take place. Both men were unequivocal on that point.

We can now report, however, that we have additional, independent sources that refute those denials by Corallo and Luskin. While we had only our own sources to work with in the beginning, additional sources have now come forward and offered corroboration to us.

We have been contacted by at least three reporters from mainstream media - network level organizations - who shared with us off-the-record confirmation and moral support. When we asked why they were not going public with this information, in each case they expressed frustration with superiors who would not allow it.

We also learned the following: The events at the office building that houses the law firm of Patton Boggs were not in fact a very well-guarded secret. Despite denials by Corallo and Luskin, there was intense activity at the office building. In fact, the building was staked out by at least two major network news crews. Further, although Corallo and Luskin are not prepared to talk about what happened in the offices of Patton Boggs, others emerging from the building were, both on background and off-the-record. There were a lot of talkers, and they confirmed our accounts. We do have more information, but want additional confirmation before going public with it.

THE 24 HOUR THING

We reported that Patrick Fitzgerald had, "instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 business hours to get his affairs in order...." That does not mean that at the end of that 24-hour period, Fitzgerald is obliged to hold a press conference and make an announcement. It just means that he has given Rove a 24-hour formal notification. Fitzgerald is not obliged to make an announcement at any point; he does so at his own discretion, and not if it compromises his case. So we're all stuck waiting here. Grab some coffee.

Source: Truthout (truthout.org), 5/17/06

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Since I saw the story on truthout this weekend, I have searched for corroboration and have not found any. However, Jason Leopold has been a reliable source in the past. There has been a lot on this in the blogosphere, but no confirmation yet. I think there will be an announcement from Fitzgerald by the end of the week.

14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When are indictments made public? I know that they can be handed down by a grand jury, and then sealed pending some further action. But does anyone know if there's a time limit to how long it can remain sealed?

I suspect this is a false alarm, but the blogosphere has found things out first before.

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Good question. It's at the discretion of the grand jury, which in this kind of case probably delegated it (as it can) to Mr. Fitzgerald.

On a more mundane level, such as with a county grand jury hearing much more low-key matters, I've seen it happen where NO public announcements were made until the jury's term expired, at which time only a brief summary appeared in the local newspaper. But I think that's only if there have been no indictments. Hmmm...

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Joe Conason (who is a pretty astute follower of these matters) was asked about it today on the Al Franken show. He said that he heard they filmed two versions of "Hardball"; one in case Rove is indicted, one if not.

17. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

UPDATE

Hmmm, sounds as if there might be even BIGGER fish to fry about to come out!

Information Sharing on the Rove Indictment Story

By Marc Ash,

Sun May 21st, 2006 at 11:58:26 AM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

I'd like to break this posting into two categories: What we know, and what we believe. They will be clearly marked.

We know that we have now three independent sources confirming that attorneys for Karl Rove were handed an indictment either late in the night of May 12 or early in the morning of May 13. We know that each source was in a position to know what they were talking about. We know that the office of Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald will not confirm, will not deny, will not comment on its investigation or on our report. We know that both Rove's attorney Robert Luskin and Rove's spokesman Mark Corallo have categorically denied all key facts we have set forth. We know we have information that directly contradicts Luskin and Corallo's denials. We know that there were two network news crews outside of the building in Washington, DC that houses the offices of Patton Boggs, the law firm that represents Karl Rove. We know that the 4th floor of that building (where the Patton Boggs offices are located) was locked down all day Friday and into Saturday night. We know that we have not received a request for a retraction from anyone. And we know that White House spokesman Tony Snow now refuses to discuss Karl Rove - at all.

Further, we know - and we want our readers to know - that we are dependent on confidential sources. We know that a report based solely on information obtained from confidential sources bears some inherent risks. We know that this is - by far - the biggest story we have ever covered, and that we are learning some things as we go along. Finally, we know that we have the support of those who have always supported us, and that must now earn the support of those who have joined us as of late.

We now move on to what we believe. (If you are looking for any guarantees, please turn back now.)

We believe that we hit a nerve with our report. When I get calls on my cell phone from Karl Rove's attorney and spokesman, I have to wonder what's up. "I" believe - but cannot confirm - that Mark Corallo, Karl Rove's spokesman gave Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post my phone number. I believe Howard Kurtz contacted me with the intention of writing a piece critical of our organization. I know that Anne Marie Squeo of the Wall Street Journal attacked us and independent journalism as a whole in her piece titled, "Rove's Camp Takes Center of Web Storm / Bloggers Underscore How Net's Reporting, Dynamics Provide Grist for the Rumor Mill." We believe that rolling out that much conservative journalistic muscle to rebut this story is telling. And we believe that Rove's camp is making a concerted effort to discredit our story and our organization.

Further - and again this is "What We Believe" - Rove may be turning state's evidence. We suspect that the scope of Fitzgerald's investigation may have broadened - clearly to Cheney - and according to one "off the record source" to individuals and events not directly related to the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame. We believe that the indictment which does exist against Karl Rove is sealed. Finally, we believe that there is currently a great deal of activity in the Plame investigation.

We know that this story is of vital interest to the community, and that providing as much information as we can is very important to our readers. We want you to know that this is challenging territory and that we are proceeding with as much speed as the terrain will allow.

Marc Ash, Executive Director - t r u t h o u t
    [email protected]

18. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Update from Truthout

The Continued Interest in the Rove Indictment Story

By Marc Ash,

Wed May 31st, 2006 at 07:21:40 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation
    (140 comments)

We are still getting a high volume of email inquiries on our Rove indictment story from May 13, 2006. We greatly appreciate your interest, and are well aware of the right of all Americans to know what is happening here.

So again, for the record: We stand by the story. TO's staff is treating this story as our highest priority and will be following up with additional information as it becomes available.

Clearly the question is: "If Karl Rove has been indicted, why has there been no official announcement?" Right now we have only general indicators as to why an announcement might not be made when an indictment has been returned. And even though these indicators do exist, we need to more clearly understand exactly what is happening in this case before we can report on them.

This a unique situation, and frankly a stressful one. We would like to thank all of those who have offered their support during the course of this ordeal. We fully intend to press on.

Marc Ash, Executive Director - t r u t h o u t

19. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's somethign fishy here:

Truthout is the only outfit claiming to have sources that say Rove is indicted. Considering the high interest in this, why don't other reporting outlets have the same or similar sources?

I find it extraordinary that, with this event (or potential event), there is only ONE outfit claiming to have contacts who know.

Google "rove indicted" and the only meaningful returns on the query are truthout's, or references to truthout's.

That's too constricted, even with 9/10ths of the media vice-gripped by Cheney & friends.

Anyone else done any roaming to see what's going on here?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

19 days and still no "announcement". Let me tell you, if Rove had been indicted...the liberal press would have printed it.