1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscreen

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by LungCookie, Jul 14, 2005.

1. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

[ KB ]

Category: Electronic Modifications
    Type: Modifications

Article Name: How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscreen
    Author: LungCookie
    Description: Gain access to all NAV features while the car is in motion using only the service menu.

>>Read Full Article

2. chaneytexas

chaneytexas New Member

For some reason this is not working for me. I go through all the steps you describe, click override and then back out, but I still can't progarm a destination while the car is in motion. Any ideas?

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    chaneytexas,
    You have to press the "override" button as long as necessary till you hear a "beep" and the button shows a black outline. It takes about 3 seconds. Be patient.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Yup. Step 7 should read, "Press AND HOLD the Override button until you hear a beep."

I was hoping that the FM RDS "messages" would be enabled also. Sadly, they are not.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That, is cool :)

6. reesdude

reesdude New Member

what does echo voice do? does anyone have any details on the other service options?

7. arubinst

arubinst Junior Member

Does it work for any European Prius user?

It doesn't work on my European 2005 (in Switzerland, got it in March). The service menu never shows up. :-(

Any ideas?

8. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Re: [ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscr

It worked for me! Many thanks. It will come in handy for long trips with a passenger, or easier demonstrations of the Nav system (also by a passenger).

Let me add my agreement that you should press AND HOLD the Override button to get that beep and color change feedback.

You will get NO feedback as you press the hidden corner sequence. Be gentle with your screen.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

This service menu is coming directly from the NAV. Any menu item that has you go to the I Agree screen is from the NAV, including the calendar and maintenance menu (which by the way, works with the override). Since some areas of Europe have a different NAV ECU, they may not have the same screens or menu items.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It works fine for me, although I have to press the Back button and return to the Volume screen. Otherwise, whenever I press the Map button, it goes back to the Service menu.

Still, it's a great thing to know. :)

11. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

Super find. Was this something "leaked" or did someone do an amazing job of reverse engineering?

I'm going to give it a try as soon as I pry my car back from my wife... I should never have loaned it to her.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GAGendel\";p=\"109321)</div>
    Actually someone on a Lexus forum discovered it. driverx found it there by accident. And since the Lexus and the Prius share the same NAV system, the trick works on both cars.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone had their override un-override?

I did this last night before taking Priapus out. I was impressed with the menu staying active while moving.

Unfortunately, today when I was drving him, I switched over because I thought it was pretty cool. The old grayed out menus were the same as before.

Thoughts?

14. dreichla

dreichla New Member

It always resets itself back to the default condition after you shut the car off. A small price to pay for such a cool feature!

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I used it this weekend for my travels from/to Universal Studios. Worked great!

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What's good about this is that for me, to be perfectly honest, the number of times there would be a need to make a change while moving is very rare (yesterday was the first time). So it's nice to have it there, just in case.

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dan makes a good argument for me. Not going to Universal Studios, that is, but making a trip in general. I think that if I were in downtown Chicago, I would override prior to heading out in case I need my passenger to do some quick NAVing.

Thanks for the responses, by the way, on my un-override question. I was starting to think that it was just me.

18. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Re: [ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscr

As Arubinst noted, this trick appears not to work on a UK or EU model Prius. Therefore I suspect that like the reversing beep removal, it will work only on a US [and possibly Canadian] model.

Will everyone please try not to keep raising my hopes like this? :( :(

regards

Jerry
    UK

19. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

[ KB ]

I've updated article with warning about the problems people have encountered after hitting other buttons on the service menu.

>>Read Full Article

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can safely say that the Loading button is really the only one that will get you into the most trouble. Other buttons show similar info as other service screens, plus allow you to reset calibration of nav/gyro sensors. Just DO NOT SELECT loading and press any random application listed (like I did :-( ). To be safe though, you're probably best off not messing with anything but override.