1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ KB ] How to Install a Navigation System Defeat Switch

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Danny, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Category: 3 Electronic Modifications
    Type: Modifications

Article Name: How to Install a Navigation System Defeat Switch
    Author: efusco
    Description: Temporarily disable the speed sensor and thus allow a passenger to enter navigation instructions while the vehicle remains in motion

>>Read Full Article

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not really new--unless you never read it the first time then it's new to you. I just finally got around to posting it in the KB myself, under my own name. I made a couple minor additions/modifications, but nothing major, just some polishing to really make the install slick.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Posts by cyclone that were lost when I deleted the old article:

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess they can use about any excuse to try to void the warranty, but I'd MAKE them prove that my switch somehow caused the problem. This is really nothing, it interupts the speed sensor wire and nothing else. You're not affecting the programing, you're not hacking the programing, you're not adding any additional power or inputs, nothing that can directly affect the NAV system or should cause any malfunction.

I think they'd be using it purely as an excuse and I'd fight them on it.
    --evan

BTW, the EV button is slightly different as it could be reasonablely argued that use of that button may have/could have put undue stress on the hybrid system and esp. the battery and if there is any damage that could be remotely related to either of those two problems it would be hard to successfully argue the point.

5. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You're certainly right about that. They wouldn't know what caused the problem.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good thought, it also sounds like you know a lot more about electronics than I do (I know very little). I guess the only assurance I have that the current mod is safe is that it has been done on many cars (previous and current model Prii) without reported malfunctions. All the switch does is interupt the signal, AFAIK. I guess there 'could' be static discharge or some other odd thing that could cause a problem, but I have to assume the system's been designed to tolerate surges and interuptions in power/energy flow.

Your idea seems to be much better, if it's possible to implement it in an efficient manner. Meanwhile I think the mod as described is probably safe. Note, however, the disclaimer--obviously I have not assurance that I've covered all the bases.

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

Just wanted to give you guys a thank you for putting this up. Went through the procedure yesterday, and it went off without a hitch - definately have to make sure you go for the right wire (the thinner purple wire in the middle), and it also helped to have two people when it came to the soldering, but otherwise very cool stuff.

Albeit a small one, I have taken the step to mod my prius, and it's a joy! :)

-m.

8. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those that are curious, I find the signalling as follows:
    Voltage toggles between 0 and 13.6V.
    Changes state about once per foot or so if rolling above a min speed,
    both forward and reverse.
    Freezes at either 0 or 13.6 if you stop.
    Electrical levels are not quite consistent with a pullup resistor in the nav
    unit and a switch to ground in the speed sensor (wherever that is).
    Too bad, because then a switch to ground from this wire would be fine
    and you wouldn't need to cut the wire - just tap into it.
    Short circuit current to ground is 8.2mA when in the high state.
    Current through a 150 Ohm resistor to ground is 6.8mA (high state)
    Current through a 1.5K Ohm resistor to ground is 2.2mA (high state)
    Maybe someone who's cut the wire can say what the current
    through the switch is in each state?

I might be tempted to ground the metal body of the switch to
    improve the odds in an ESD hit. Maybe even a surge suppression
    diode between the purple wire and ground for extra protection.
    Another method might be to use magnetic window alarm sensors
    so you could open the speed sense line without much chance
    for zapping it with ESD.
    2004 #9

9. PriusLover

PriusLover New Member

I was very happy to find a thread on this subject - does anyone know if a mechanic would do this since I'd hate to screw something up during the modification. Thanks!

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've advised that you can always ask around at stereo install places to see if they'd be willing to do it. I believe someone here found someone that agreed to do it for about $50. Just remember that they'll almost certainly never have done anything like this before either and are just about as likely to screw up as you are. They're biggest advantage will be their comfort level working with a soldering iron and pulling apart the dash and running wires.

11. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I can't solder to save my life, but I strongly recommend connectors and a crimping tool. I went to Radio Shack, and in the back where all the electronic parts are kept, there's a bunch of steel drawers marked with the types of small parts in each drawer. I found a drawer labeled "Automotive Connectors", and selected 1/4" Fast-On connectors. A bag of 5 pairs cost about $2. I also bought a spool of 22 gage wire, which is about what the Prius uses, and a $6 crimping tool that has a wire cutter, wire stripper and multiple crimpers for different gage wire. This was about as idiot-proof as I could find (and needed!). Total cost out the door was around $20, and most of it is still available for future mods.

12. PriusLover

PriusLover New Member

Glad to hear I can do it w/o soldering ... that was the part that was scaring me. I'll ask the wife what she thinks about me screwing around with our new car. Wish me luck!

13. Don

Don New Member

Glad to find you all,
    How can I disable the speed sensing for the Bluetooth phone system. AND am I reading this thread correctly, you can only disable the speed sensing to the Navigation system for 30 to 60 seconds at a time while driving? before the systems GPS detects somtthing is wrong and disables anyway? ALSO, I'm assuming that the thin violet wire as described under the arm rest is the same as the one behind the glove box and it's only a matter of preferance where one cuts and installs the switch??
    I know, a lot of questions, I really appreciate the help. Anyone want to email me directly, I'm at [email protected]
    Thanks again.

14. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don,
    Have a look at this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...=456&highlight=

It discusses some of the options. You are right that the switch method
    only defeats the lockout for a while, then a secondary lockout kicks in.
    You can of course toggle the switch once in a while and maintain fairly
    continuous control.

15. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

Does anyone know if there is a software hack for this? I assume the disk in the NAV system is a standard DVD and could be copied and modified.

16. Don

Don New Member

I would also like to know if there is a software solution to this (nav defeat)and/or the Phone defeat.

17. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's really not all that hard, even for the mechanically disadvantaged... :p

I used a Radio Shack #275-1565 switch, which needed only a 3/8" hole. it's a push-on/push-off, and i'll upload a photo of the finished item asap.

you don't have to remove the armrest. just unlatch the cover and swing it up out of the way, then reach in and pull out the little piece of "carpet" on the bottom of the well under the armrest. that exposes the 10mm bolts. a ratchet and extension are really great here, and you can leave the bolts in the holes when you tip up the armrest/console assembly, too. those doggone philips-head screws on the front/bottom of the console were on tight!.

i soldered about two feet of light weight clear plastic speaker wire (Radio Shack or Home Depot), about 18 gauge or so, onto the switch, then threaded the wire through the hole i drilled in the console. ran the lockwasher and nut down the wire and used a small adjustable wrench to secure the switch.

while the whole process took me about 45-50 minutes (i solder well and am not mechanically challenged) 8) , it seemed like it took me half of that time to find the doggoned little purple wire and get enough of it loose to cut and strip! :pukeright:

i also used small wire nuts to connect the ends of the switch wire to the purple one; it might be too tight in that little cramped space to fit a nice crimping tool! finally, i pulled the loose wire back into the space under the front cup holders and taped it down so it wouldn't flop around or rattle in the future.

all in all, the directions from the Good Doctor made this a really quick and easy install! thanks again to those who went before.......

18. Don

Don New Member

I've installed the nav defeat switch and just cut the wire for the phone defeat. Everything works fine. BUT, I would still like to find out if anyone is working on a software hack??? It would be so much nicer. I have been in other cars that have mostly the same software for the nav as the Prius ie..(Hummer). and none of the other cars have to concern themselves about defeat switches. their nav system inputs work weather they are moving or not. So, if anyone knows of a software solution for these defeat switch fixes I would love to know about it.

Thanks

19. alager

alager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Has anyone tried this defeat switch on the older '02 prius?

Aaron

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Didn't know '02 had nav. On '03, speed input is pin 5 on connector N2, also a purple wire.
    Probably would have the same side effects as on the '04/'05.