1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KBB Ranks Prius C Best Hybrid/Alternative Energy Car

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by afrowalking, Feb 20, 2014.

1. afrowalking

afrowalking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "KBB praises the Prius c for “value, versatility, and mileage-maxing potential,” highlighting a less-than-$20,000 starting price, four diverse trim grades, and the potential for 53 mpg city/46 mpg highway. Perhaps most impressive about the 2014 Prius c’s Best Hybrid/Alternative Energy Car victory is the fact that it had to beat out the rest of the Prius family (Prius, Prius v, and Prius Plug-in) in order to do so."

Three Toyota Vehicles Win KBB 5-Year Cost to Own Awards

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to own such an award winning vehicle!

3. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had already figured out that the C was one of the best cars out there, but, glad to see KBB recognizes it also.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dag nabbit;

NOT recommended by Consumer Reports.

Aren't the always right?:(

5. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Comsumer Report:
    "Acceleration is slow. The cramped driving position is flawed. The ride is always busy, and the cabin is loud. Plus it reminds us that not all small cars have nimble handling."

1. Acceleration is slow. I disagree with him. I was supprise how fast the C pulling out the parking lot when I first test drive the C. Get on highway was a little slow, but not much different than any other 4 cylinder cars. This guy must drive the car in ECO mode.

2.The cramped driving position is flawed. Got no idea what he mean. If he meant the seat, then he is so wrong.

3. The ride is always busy. What the heck is this?

4. the cabin is loud. Only half true. Only loud on highway, but I can't believe if this little noise can bother anyone.

5.Plus it reminds us that not all small cars have nimble handling. Nothing wrong with prius C handling. Actually, most reviewers gave C very good handling.
    Conlusion: Look like he is comparing the C with a luxury car. I read his report before I bought my C4. He got me worry at the time, but I tested out his points. Doesn't seem any of his claims were real.

Fahfoofnik and ftl like this.
  6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You want busy and noisy?

Every drive a 1970 Ford Pinto?

ztanos likes this.
  7. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    CR panned the C, that's what made me interested in it. IMHO they are always wrong when it comes to car evaluations. They give it a bad review, but, say it has one of the best records for reliability. Makes one wonder if they know what they are talking about.

8. lostangeles

lostangeles New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I read CR when I was car shopping and while I was initially bummed to see this review, after reading tons of other reviews, I really think that in general, they're ultimately comparing it to much more expensive and/or large cars. Their baseline of what seems to be a comfortable ride with good interior is definitely a luxury car. My last car was an older 2-door Honda Civic and the Prius C definitely doesn't seem any less comfortable compared to that and even the acceleration isn't bad.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt the implicit comparison car is a 'luxury' model, but I can well believe they are thinking of a car like the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry.

I own a Prius vagon and the classic liftback. If it turns out we have to keep a 3rd car (yuck), it is going to be a tight race between the Prius 'c', Yaris and a Honda Fit.

Anyway, Congrats Prius 'c' owners!

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I like this.
    I was the older brother in my family, and I always hated it when the little brother got cocky....

So enjoy the accolades....but keep it down....

11. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I think collectively, we all know what KBB is now stating. A reliable hybrid under $20k. IMO, a new standard in Econo-Boxes.

As for CR, they actually prefer the Honda Fit. As far as Econo-Boxes are concerned, the Fit is nice. But in the long run if one was to eek every cost-saving / efficiency advantage from a car like hybrid owners do, then it's really hard to beat the C.

12. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And toasty too

13. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    CR is horrible at evaluating cars imo.

14. Slolane

Slolane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Great review, and if your in the market for a 2013 there are some good deals out now for them. I just picked up my 13 C4 for just under 21k.