1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep an eye on your computer friendly teenager

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This aired on date line & I thought I would share it, prepare to have your eyes opened..
    If you have computer savvy teens, you may start checking the sites they are visiting..

Educating the public one step at a time! :)

You may never have heard of MySpace.com, but it's a safe bet, your kids have.

It's a social networking site — sort of a cyber combination of a yearbook, personal diary and social club. The biggest of them is MySpace.com. With more than 50 million members, its one of the fastest growing Web sites in the country.

daughter, a teenager: Everyone has a MySpace and everyone wants a My Space.

It’s free, easy to join, and easy to message its members. Kids chat about everything from school, to sports, to fundraisers for Katrina victims. It all seems like innocent fun, and it can be. But many parents and teens are unaware there are hidden dangers.

daughter: I honestly just thought it was my friends looking at it.

Which is why "daughter" disclosed so much on her space.
    She put her name, her address, and where she went to school— everything about how to find daughter was on that site.

Stafford, a Dateline correspondent: Were you worried about doing that?

daughter: I didn’t think twice about it.

daughter did think twice about something else: The rules on my space say you’re supposed to be at least 14 years old.

Stafford: How old did you say you were?

daughter: I think it was 18.

Stafford: You think it was 18?

daughter: I was 13 at the time.

daughters mother happens to run the computer system at a private grammar school. She has parental controls on her home computer, and several months ago, MySpace popped up on one of the reports her Mother gets on the Web sites daughter has visited.

Mother: I was just very upset. Somebody looking for a kid could find a kid very easily.

Stafford: Had you ever heard of it?

mother : No.

She was stunned by what daughter revealed and found the sites of other kids far more revealing.

Mother: I found all kinds of pictures of kids in revealing positions, and pictures of kids scantily dressed.

It’s a cyber secret teenagers keep from tech-challenged parents who are not as savvy as Motherst. It’s a world where the kids next door can play any role they want. They may not realize everyone with Internet access, including sexual predators, may see the pictures and personal information they post.

When “Dateline†surfed MySpace, we found scenes of binge drinking, apparent drug use, teens posing in underwear, and other members simulating sex, and in some cases even having it. We also found less provocative pages like daughter's was, but potentially even more dangerous. Teens listed not only their names, and addresses, but even cell phone numbers and after school schedules.

Aftab: an Internet lawyer and safety expert: [It’s] one stop shopping for sexual predators, and they can shop by catalogue.

Stafford: Do parents have any idea what some kids are posting on these sites?

Aftab: Parents are clueless. They’re caught like deer in the headlights.

Aftab educates parents and kids about the dangers lurking on the Web.

Aftab: Pedophiles are using all of the social networking sites. And every other anonymous Internet technology to find kids. The social networking sites are where kids are.

Aftab says even kids who don’t list their name and address can provide enough personal information— such as the kinds of bands and boys they love— for a pedophile to use to con their way into their lives.

Aftab: If someone knows you "like pina coladas and walks in the rain," it’s very easy online to be exactly what it is you’re looking for— to be your “soul mate.â€

Stafford: Who might happen to be a 40 year old predator?

Aftab: Absolutely. The teens just don’t get it. To them, they’re talking to a computer monitor.They’re playing in an area where they don’t recognize the consequences.

In the last month, authorities have charged at least three men with sexually assaulting teenagers they found through MySpace.com and just this week police found a missing 15-year-old girl who investigators say was sexually assaulted by a 26-year-old man she met through the site. MySpace members are now warning each other about the danger of sharing information online.

Aftab says parents need to find out what their kids are sharing.

Aftab: Say to your kids, “I’d like to see your profile page tomorrow.†It’s important that you give them a day to clean up their page. That will be the last time you give them warning.

Then Aftab says look at their site: Are the pictures provocative? Their profiles too detailed? Who are they talking to? And perhaps most important— have they kept their profiles private, protected by a password, to keep strangers out?

Again its a dangerous world we live in and its up to the parents to protect thier children..

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Some people just shouldn't be parents.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It used to be that parents would plop their kids in front of the television babysitter to keep them entertained and quiet. Now, parents let the kids chat online for hours on end. Given the two evils, I'm thinking television is the lesser. Parents know how to turn the tv off. Sometimes, the parents even watch the television with the kids. When the kids are on the computer, they are alone without supervision. Yeah, this is a big deal.

4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, but a bit of reality has to be brought to the idea of monitoring what kids do all the time. You may lock down that computer in your home/office but what about the one down the street at their friend's house? However, what you can do is provide them with a set of values that they can use to protect themselves. Just keep in mind that the values they adopt for themselves may not always agree with your values. Times change, they grow and they are not you.

By the way, this tendancy to disclose information is not just limited to your teenage children. A number of years ago a university group created a computer program that would respond to a person's keyboard input. No, it was not intelligent computing. In fact it would response with a limited set of fairly incongruous statements, e.g., "is that so", "how do you feel about that", "tell me more". This was tested in a university setting with university students and professors allowed to "play the game." The group that was doing the study was astonished at the openness that people exhibited and the level of very personal information they disclosed to "the computer." The feeling of anonymity triggers something in humans. In Japan a person is expected to behave in a strict way. However, when the person becomes anonymous their behavior can change drastically. It's one of the reasons why women are often groped when riding crowded subway cars in Japan. It's one of the reasons that if it is late at night and you meet a Japanese that is drunk he might become aggressive. They have become anonymous and therefore many of the social restrictions disappear. (It's also one of the reasons that the exchange of business cards has such significance in Japan. You are no longer anonymous and therefore must be treated in a different manner.)

Disclosing very personal information is basic human nature and the only way you can guard against it is by insuring that a person understands the impact of what they are doing and that they may not be quite as anonymous as they think they are. Understanding comes from values and values are transferred by example and by open and frank discussion with your teenager, not by restrictions.

Just my opinion.

5. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Apr 5 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]235328[/snapback]</div>

I completely agree with this. As a member of myspace, I see a lot of very disturbing things... a lot of young girls with very slutty pics of themselves in their profiles. I have to wonder if the parents are parentlng at all. Sure it's impossible to know what your kids are up to every second of every day, but are you telling me the parents have no clue at all that their young daughters are dressing and behaving like little whores in training? I think not. The clues are there and oftentimes aren't even all that subtle. Parents on the whole are scared of parenting anymore.

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps we should have the guys in Homeland Security keep an eye on MySpace to ensure that the little girls are(n't) behaving badly.

7. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]235359[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Hawk

Hawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]235326[/snapback]</div>
    If a parent is going to give there chilled access to a tool like the internet they have to educate them on how to use it in a safe manner. If the parent does not understand the tool than they need to educate themselves on it before they turn it over to the kids.

There are many dangerous things a chilled can get into on the internet but it is also an amazing wealth of inspiration and information. TV has very few redeeming qualities. There is no substitute for parental guidance weather it is a TV or a computer.

And I would never allow a chilled to have his own computer connected to the internet that is not in a family space.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 5 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]235160[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]235326[/snapback]</div>

well put.

I wil admit that i do spend too much time in front of the pc.

10. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]235359[/snapback]</div>

lol :lol: :D

I think the better solution is to get the parents more involved with their kids... whats the point of having a kid if you can't raise them properly (and don't say tax credit, thats the reason people get the prius ;) )?

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There have already been some documentaries about myspace dot com. I'm not sure what is worse: the kids who have no life whatsoever and feel a need to "belong" or the pervert adults who join to sniff out the kids.

Best advice has already been given here: there is NO WAY a child should be allowed unsupervised access. Just too dangerous, plenty of perverts out there.

12. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I fall into the camp that thinks that this is a parenting issue, because it comes down to how STUPID kids are when they have stupid parents. I was one of the first 'online' kids - I was on bulletin board systems back in the days before the internet, and I was in chat rooms back when they called them teleconferences, and I made friends all over on the door games. I met a handful of people I knew online, always at public places like town council meetings or the library. I wouldn't even CONSIDER putting my address or real phone number (or school schedule and list of fears) on a public internet site. My mom didn't know enough to tell me not to, she just raised me with more common sense than that.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You better believe it is. It's just as much a parenting issue as smoking in an enclosed car with children. Or letting your kids watch "R" rated movies at the age of ten.