1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep cell phone and Smart Entry Fob apart?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Ericsons, Apr 28, 2005.

1. The Ericsons

The Ericsons New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would like to keep both cell phone and key fob in my purse. What will happen if I do? If they are kept in separate compartments on the outside of the bag is that ok? Will something happen to the cell phone, to the fob, or to the car if they are together? Thanks.

2. DanH

DanH New Member

I guess there is the potential for interference, especially from the cell phone to the fob when the fob is trying to hear the Prius when you walk up to it. I have my cell phone and fob in the same pocket and so far I have had no issues with them.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No permenant damage will occur, though interference may occur which will go away once separated.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some have had issues, some haven't. So far, I've had no problems with the fob and cell or easyPAY-type tags. Despite that, I may have a dead battery sooner than normal cause I assume the phone will interfere and drain the battery faster than normal. I try to keep them apart at home but they're relatively close in my pocket.

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I continually put both the FOB and my cell phone in the same pocket without any ill effects, save one, the FOB will NOT be recognized by the car if it is within a couple of inches of the phone. The phone interferes with the signal somehow.

If you keep the FOB and the phone in the same bag seperate them by a few inches, an inside and outside pocket might not work since they are still right next to each other. Think more like one at each end lengthwise.

6. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I held the fob and the cell phone in contact and tried various configurations and relationships. There was no apparent degradation in the performance of the fob. It is a non-issue.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck\";p=\"85451)</div>
    I agree, sort of.

My Prius failed to power up when I accidentally stuck my cell phone in the same pocket as my fob. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I took my phone out of my pocket and put it in the front cupholder. Pretty weird.

After that experience, I also tried various configurations and relationships but out of dozens and dozens of attempts, was only able to reproduce the event once. So, a non-issue for the most part but one that does surface on rare occasions.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if my fob is on the battery side of my phone.. then it won't work. i have to move them apart by hitting my pocket.. then i can open the door. it's very annoying. i won't put them in different pockets though.

any ways to shield our phones?

9. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can reproduce the results EVERY time my phone and FOB are in the same pocket, whether pants, suit jacket or coat. It may have something to do with my phone, I've got that giant Nokia 3650 with Bluetooth. its big but I only paid $99 bucks for it! (new, 1 year agreement t-mobile)

10. baeckknit

baeckknit New Member

Does it make a difference whether or not the phone is turned on?

baeckknit