1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep those CDs from rattling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by oms2burn, Nov 4, 2007.

1. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got tired of hearing my CDs bouncing around in the compartment under the radio, so I made this little spacer out of some spare 2x4 wood (that is approximately 2 inches by 4 inches before they dry the lumber for you metric folks...I leave the conversion to you). I had to bevel it in the back, but it works pretty good. I also had some spare space on one side, so I notched it out for a USB jump drive or coupons or my iPod Shuffle.

Pic 1 is my shot at plans (I could not put it on the priuschat site for some reason).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/oms2burn/img002.jpg

Pic 2 is the finished product (camera phone...sorry)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/om...wood-cutout.jpg

Hope someone else likes this. It worked well for me.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I carry several CDs in their cases in there.

3. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 4 2007, 04:44 AM) [snapback]534583[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but you can jam more into the compartment under the radio this way (I know; how many do you need w/ MP3?).

4. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(good4you @ Nov 4 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]534678[/snapback]</div>
    Well, people whose ears can't bear the loss of information in MP3 encoding would need all their CDs.
    --
    Robert

5. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertG @ Nov 4 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]534739[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. I wonder how high of a bit rate and sample frequency the Prius can handle. My version of iTunes can rip at 320kbps bit rate (stereo) and 48khz sample frequency, which would put it pretty close to the original CD (but still not the same). Of course, at that high of a bit rate, you probably only get 15 songs on a CD instead of 11!! I guess it is in the manual, but it might be too detailed to make the final cut.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My ears can't tell the difference, I actually think the sound in the base Prius is excellent!! I can only listen to 1 CD at a time and 5CDs in compact cases are 4 hours of music and I have a 1-hour commute. Any more CDs and the consol is huge!
    Do you find just stacking CDs causes scratches and sound degradation?

7. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 5 2007, 06:48 AM) [snapback]534881[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I do...especially if they rub against each other (therefore the mod). I mostly put copies in my car...worry about the heat, etc.

BTW, here is a link to a pic of the final picture (higher resolution)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/om...rn/DSC08924.jpg

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave up and bought a new stereo that goes in the little compartment below the factory stereo. Now I just load up a USB flash-drive with 600+ songs and call it a day. Unfortunately you do lose some sound quality so when I need the sound to be at it's best I just pop in one of the CDs I keep in the center console. It does make a difference.

The base system in the Prius actually sound pretty darn good with just the addition of a subwoofer. :)