1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping spiders out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusGuy32, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now before I go on, let me just say I live on the water. The spiders around are the size of tennis balls, lol. I have a local company spray my house, garage, seawall and boat once a month. They do an excellent job.

However, the spiders are seeking refuge in my Prius :mad: Even though I keep the windows shut and the HVAC on 'recirc' at night, they find a way in.

Today I must've grabbed 15 spiders with napkins and threw them away. 15!!! I had to pull over to the side of the road three times because the inside of the car is crawling with spiders :eek:

What I tried doing a few weeks ago, is I sprayed my car with this non-toxic spider spray that I also use for my boat. It uses peppermint oil and vinegar (VERY strong, strong enough that its still dangerous to get on your hands, etc) and it did help keep the spiders out of my side mirrors and vent visors. However, they still got inside the car. I wouldnt want to spray the same stuff inside the car because it smells very repulsive and the warning label says its an irritant. Probably not a good idea to spray in a small area.

Any suggestions for a non-toxic, not messy, method to keep spiders out of my car and/or kill them when they get in?! Im going crazy over here.....

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You don't state where you are parking the car at home, garage or driveway. The first thing that comes to mind is spraying down the area where the car sits and out to an area 5-10' from there.

Other possibilities are to introduce or increase bird houses in the yard. Ladybugs eat lots of insects limiting the food source for spiders. Introduce or increase cats in the yard. Cats will eat most anything they see moving. I thought about a few small snakes in the car but that might be distracting while driving. lol Glue traps under the seats and in the cargo area may be helpful. I have heard eucalyptus oil is a good repellent. The peppermint oil is known to repel spiders and mice. You may want to rotate it with orange oil spray. Spiders come for the insects in the area so that has to be considered.

3. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Ah ha.. Thats a good idea, the glue traps. Ive been using a spray under the vent visors and mirrors that is peppermint and neem oil or something like that and it works GREAT at keeping them off the mirrors and vent visors but they still manage to get IN the car :( And the stuff smells like vinegar so I dont want to spray it inside the Prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does this happen in other cars? i wouldn't be able to drive like that. i'd be imagining spiders where there weren't spiders! do the bite?

5. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

OMG yeah!! They get into my partners Ford Escape too, but for some reason, not 1/10th as bad as the Prius. :mad:

We both park outside in the driveway. Never had this problem with my Envoy. Of course, maybe the spiders are green and wouldnt want to nest in a gas guzzling SUV :D

Our monthly house, garage, and seawall treatment is tomorrow morning. THANK GOD. I can tell when the 30 days is coming near, spiders start getting in the house at alarming rates. My cat can only eat so much....lol

And the spiders DO bite, but the bites arent poisonous, just painful. They leave bumps like what a zit would be lit. They itch and hurt for about a day. Alas, why I want to rid this problem.

I went out and re-sprayed the windows, vent visors and side mirrors with the Star-Brite Spider Away spray (non-toxic) that I also use on our cabin cruiser. I definitely like the idea of the glue traps, I actually might have some laying around somewhere that I bought on sale a while back......

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 30+ years in the tropics, I have realized that the bugs always win in the end. I also came from MN, so I know that the insects can get down and procreate in those hot summer months.

What species? Arachnophobia is common, but not necessary. Spiders are a good thing, a healthy response from the environment that is tending towards balance. It's when all the spiders are taken out by broad spectrum insecticides that things go really wrong. It takes the predators much longer to recover.

What could be attracting full grown spiders to the inside of the car, since there is some effort required to find their way in? They are not making webs, but hunting, yes? They navigate by smell. Some plastic off gassing, acting as a pheromone?

I think the strong odorants listed are probably going to work eventually. Another possibility is pyrethum based products.

uart likes this.
  7. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well the one spider that we have A LOT in our area is this guy, hes the one that bites and leaves "zit" like lesions. They hurt!

Yellow sac spiders (Cheiracanthium inclusum and C. mildei)

The ones that keep inhabiting my Prius look similar but have much longer legs and when they are resting, fold flat. I cant explain it but they pull their legs in so they are no longer round in shape, but vertical. I cannot for the life of me identify it, in spite of extensive googling! argh

8. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok Ive identified the mystery spiders that keep inhabiting my Prius!!
    Long-jawed spiders

Unless they are willing to pay some of the car loan, they are getting kicked out, lol. Tonight I start with glue traps. (y)

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, according to the link those would be the males in your car, as they are the stalkers, since the females stay with their web. IMHO, they must think something in the Prius smells like female pheromone, and are aggregating there.

10. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Typical....root of all my problems, men! :LOL:

Last night I set up a glue insect/pest trap and put it on the dash. I re-sprayed the vent visors and exterior glass. Im interested to see how many spiders are in the car today.

Back to what is attracting the spiders; the interior of my car is pretty dusty right now. I have a Pier 1 eucalyptus air freshener under the seat. The spiders seem attracted to my windshield area and sun visors. :coffee:

11. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That eucalyptus air freshener may not be the same as eucalyptus oil. The oil is supposed to repel spiders but the air freshener may attract them. An interesting experiment may be to place one somewhere outside of the car and see if it attracts them.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, so you're having your whole home sprayed 12 times a year for a spider that's essentially harmless! Seriously I'd rather just put up with the spiders. I've you weren't spraying all the time then they probably wouldn't all be trying to take refuge in your Prius.

This one (huntsman) is the most common type of spider we get around here.
    [​IMG]

They're big and hairy, fast as hell, and can jump like a pro basketballer. Luckily however they're pretty harmless, and reluctant to bite unless you give them no other option.

I'm very tolerant of them, mainly because I know they help control other insects like flies and cockroaches, but my wife is a total arachnophobe. So we've reached an agreement that she wont spray or kill them, but I have to relocate them if they're in the house or car. :D

nh7o likes this.
  13. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha 12 times a year, no - I couldnt afford that. Im in Michigan and our summer (read: peak spider season) lasts only 4 months or so. I have the house sprayed usually just once but this year with all of the precipitation, the spiders are much much worse. Im going on my 2nd spray of the season today and that should be all I need for the rest of the season. It doesnt help that I live on the lake. That alone, seems to breed spiders the size of tennis balls...lol

In my neighborhood, most everybody has their house professionally treated. If you do not treat your house against insects, you will be living in something out of a Stephen King book/movie...lol.

We have spiders that bite, and they hurt!! These are all over Michigan and more importantly - my house:

Yellow sac spiders (Cheiracanthium inclusum and C. mildei)

14. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today, not a single spider - that I could see at least - in the Prius when I got in. I set up an insect glue trap on the dashboard, nothing in it.

However, there were two spiders, 1 very large one on my side mirror and 1 of those long jawed whatever you call them under my vent visor. I treated both the mirrors and vent visors - under and top - last night. More updates to come....

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uart, we have those brown huntsman spiders here also. I try to let them in the cabinets, and smile when I find a hollow cockroach body laying out. They take refuge in the house as they are hunted by wasps outside.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking stephen king when i got to your post!:eek:

Data Daedalus and PriusGuy32 like this.
  17. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think you may have to do a insect bomb and that should do it.

When my car had spider in the outside mirrors, I thought I could flush it out with water, but it was back.

So what I did was use a little Raid, and next thing I know, it came out and I got rid of it.

I had one little one it the car and I would always see little spider webs. It eventually died because there was not more webs.

You may already have way too many of them in your car, so that is why I am suggesting the insect bomb.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once when i was driving. one dropped down on a web from the visor, right in front of my eyes. argh! i don't know how i kept the car on the road!

19. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ugh I wish there was a non-toxic bug bomb. I just dont want to be breathing that stuff in.

Some of my boating friends use these on their boats, although the directions specifically state NOT to use in an enclosed area where you sleep or something to that effect :eek:
    No Pest Strip Unscented Hanging Vapor Insect Repellent

Maybe I can buy one, hang it in the car overnight, then take it down in the day and put it into a sealed ziplock baggie or something??

20. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    my main reason for suggesting the bomb is that you have to get rid of whatever spiders that are in the car.

I think the things mentioned probably keep them away, but they will not leave your car.

Same thing like using copper for snail, you are just keeping them at bay, not getting rid of them.