1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping the Dashboard Clean

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by berryman, Sep 21, 2004.

1. berryman

berryman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dashboard seems to draw dust and dirt like a magnet. Other than constantly wiping it down, are there any suggestions out there on the best way to keep it clean with a minimum of elbow grease? Better yet, is there a spray or protectorant that can be applied to the surface that will either repel the dust and dirt or make it easier to wipe down?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

long handled Swifer duster and a quick swipe at a long traffic light and it's done. Fold it back up and stick under seat for next time it's looking tacky. I keep mine in a plastic case I got at Staples for holding pencils and such. As for spraying stuff on it I find most sprays attract dust. And don't get it on the MFD or the HUD.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have scuff marks from where I've touched the black dashboard. The worse is where I removed the triangle plastic from near the front portal. What gets rid of the scuffs?
    My dealer had a white foaming spray that was awesome. Anyone know what it might have been? And where I can get some.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

Please get the name of that foam, that sounds good. I've had good luck with a 'california duster' brand short handled brush for the dash. Even easier, and works on everything including windows and the MFD screen, is a microfiber cloth. I got a pack at a hardware store and use them for everything. They are practically 100 % lint free.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd that Swiffer recommendation for dust. Replace the pad when you buy gas.

To prevent fingerprints on MFD etc. wear gloves while driving. I've found that leather gloves are cooler than cloth in hot weather.

6. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

I wear a full Hazmat suit while driving my Prius. I've installed a deionizer / air filter as well. I have two spare suits in the trunk in case I have passangers. I've tripple coated all seats and floor with 3M. :lol:

Really I uses the same Siffer Duster. Works like a charm. For oily smudge ( finger ) marks I use the same stuff I use for my windows, Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner. I found that this window cleaner is the closest smell to new car smell.

NiMHPrius

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    NiMHPrius,
    Make sure your HazMat suit has the runner boots and gloves. Hate for you to get electrocuted when you enter or exit the car. You know, with all those bright orange cables causing [strike:558261474b]every [/strike:558261474b] [edit: "everyone"] so much grief and anguish.

8. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"41070)</div>
    LOL ! OK

NiMHPrius

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I called Jeff at Libertyville Toyota (another plug for him) and asked him what the foam stuff was. He said to swing by and he'll hook me up.

Here is the website for ECP Incorporated:
    www.ecpinc.net

Here is the page with the closest match to the product: http://www.ecpinc.net/company%20store%20platinum.htm
    You're looking at the A3 products. But I have the product number 99410 called "Work Horse All-Purpose Cleaner" and can't find it anywhere. Then again, I'm on dial-up and don't want to load too many image-heavy pages.

I haven't tried it yet personally, but I watched Jeff touch up some spots and they cleaned up just like new.

10. jsarich

jsarich New Member

11. Frank Hudon

another product that I use to remove scuff marks on the door panels and the dash is call Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, ok now I know it sound crazy but the stupid thing works, boot scuff on the lower door panel just rub it with the wetted eraser and then wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth and follow up with the Swifer. Looks like new.

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I'll be damned. I swear I did Google search after Google search. It took several links to get to where I was. And I'm even holding the can right here. Jsarich, I don't know how you did it.

That's exactly it. And for $2. Which is funny because when I asked Jeff how much it was, he actually said, "don't worry about it, it's only a couple bucks." It's worth asking your dealers if they have this stuff that you can purchase.

A hundred points for your find!

Frank: Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser is a wonderful thing. We use one around the house and just like the commercial, the scuff marks and dirt go away. Word of warning on flat paints though. It will make a shine where you clean.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it would not be appropiate for Prius' internal surfaces. Has some brave soul tried it?

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, finally had the opportunity to try the "Mechanic's Choice Work Horse All-Purpose Cleaner".
    Posted here are the results of the spots where my left foot extends above the plastic thing. I probably could have worked it a little harder and gotten it totally clean, but I'm seriously not that retentive.

I did use it in a few other places and it cleaned them right up. I'm not a big fan of spraying things in confined areas, so other than cleaning the floor, I sprayed it into a rag and wiped it on/off with the rag.

15. Frank Hudon

Richard I use the Magic Eraser all the time on both cars and it works just great on the scuff marks from the wife's purse on the dash in the 2k4 no problem. Cleans great and you can't tell where you've used it.

16. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Will Workhorse get gum off the carpet mat? Got stuck on shoe and rubbed into carpet. Ice did not seem to work.

17. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wonder Sponge

I use this thing called the Wonder Sponge to wipe-clean my dashboard. It doesn't work as well as it claims, some dirt is still left behind. Maybe I bought the wrong sponge, they have one model specifically for dashboard use.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.gonzocorp.com/images/wndrspng.jpg

Speaking of those 2 triangular plastic things, what purpose do they serve and must I remove them?

> Gonzo Dash Wipe

18. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

I have used A great product called ‘Bumper Black’ is what I have used on the inside plastic panels of my Prius to clean up finger marks and minor scratches. It also works well on all plastic trim such as bumper, rubber trim, etc. Unlike Armor-all it does not leave an ugly shiny finish. Again an A+ product.

To find where Bumper Black is sold in your area contact the company toll free at 1[800] 323-9192 or 1[805] 397-5274. You can also write to The Wax Shop, PO Box 10226, Bakersfield CA 93389-0226. I don’t remember how much I paid for the product since I have had it for a long time. It probably was around $5.00 but don’t quote me.

Arizona Charlie