1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping the Windshield Wipers Off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LeVautRien, Nov 27, 2004.

1. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed a couple of months ago, on my trip to San Francisco, that apparently the Prius is aerodynamic enough to the point where from light to all but the heaviest rain, you don't need the windshield wipers off. The water just forms drips and blows right off at highway speeds. I figured this out quite accidentally while driving on the interstate in very very light rain, too light for wiping at even the longest intervals. I tried it out in heavier and heavier rain and found it to still work nicely. I drove though several hours of heavy rain with the wipers off.

Anyone else noticed this? Does it happen on other cars?

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Apply Rain-X or a similar product to your windshield. Even on regular cars you can get away without running the wipers, except in the heaviest rain if you have a fresh application of Rain-X.

I actually hadn't noticed that the Prius was any better than any other car I've driven at keeping water off the windshield w/o wipers. I've driven on the freeway in light and heavy rain and had to run the wipers in both cases.

3. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    mine does the same thing, and even with light snow, it tends to blow right over the top...

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most cars with slanted windscreens(windshields) are like that. I could do the same in my Chrysler Sebring converiblr.( top up in the rain, ofcourse).

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you noticed that at speed water does not even hit the back window on the gen 3 Prii (03-04)! The only time I get water spotting is in stop and go traffic.