1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping your Prius clean

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by ToyotaFamily, Jul 28, 2023.

1. ToyotaFamily

ToyotaFamily New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What is the best way to wash your Prius? By hand or at the car wash? What soap do you use if doing it by hand? What to watch out for (cameras, etc.).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    by hand is always better if you have the time and inclination. you'll get lots of fine opinions, but i just use dishwashing liquid in warm water. you can find plenty of specialty products at auto supply stores or online if you prefer.

3. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    The Prius is a small enough car to wash by hand without tiring. Washing by hand is preferable because you'll get less marring, of course that depends on how you wash it also.

Prewet the car to get everything softened. Use car soap(any is fine don't use dawn) and wash with a microfiber cloth. You can use 1-2 buckets for rinsing the dirty cloth.

If you have your own driveway, its easier to be more of a perfectionist. If not and you have to go to a washbay, I go with the philosophy of getting it done.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you hand wash, you’re going to see the chips and scratches you’d miss going through a car wash. It’s also possible to do a much more thorough job, hosing out the wheel wells and undercarriage.

Toyota Canada makes (or brands) a car wash liquid concentrate; not sure if it’s available in the States.

Attached Files:

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    OP, please do not do this. In the car world before the advent of the many chemicals and methods we have now, we use to use dish soap to help STRIP AWAY all waxes/protectants that's on the paint. I wouldn't be surprised if bisco used old bath towels to dry the car(you will absolutely tear up the clearcoat with cotton towels).

Any car shampoo from Walmart will do. Use microfiber towels to dry your car. Also, do not wash your car in the sun/when your car is hot. Unless you're using DI water or distilled water, the water that flashes off will leave deposits that are difficult to get rid of.

HacksawMark likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car wash soap by hand (soft mitt. Try to avoid brushes or sponges) and two buckets or a bucket with a grit guard. (Two buckets is to rinse out the wash mitt before getting more soap). Wash from top to bottom. Wash the rims separately with a separate brush (Doesn't have to a be a tire brush. A dishwashing brush is ok).

Dry immediately (again, top to bottom).

Don't wash in the sun as the soap can dry out too quickly or the rinse can dry out too quickly leaving water spots.

That's the basics.

Beyond that, claybar once or twice a year and wax immediately after (your choice of wax - "pure" carnuba wax, polymer wax or ceramic spray wax etc).

And tire dressing if you want that off-the-lot look.

7. racer01

racer01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Literally any car wash soap rated well on amazon would work with a mitt and bucket. Nothing to watch for it using the right stuff (DON'T use dish soap!!!)
    I love Chemical Guys Mr. Pink or my new fav is their Citrus wash and gloss. Get a bundle with bucket and mitt. Dry with microfiber drying cloth. None of this is hard or expensive and you literally can't mess it up.

Some things I have found taking care of some decently nice cars for a few decades. If you don't have easy access to water Optimum "no rinse" is awesome. Wipe on and wipe off with microfiber towels. Just can't start with a *really* dirty car.

After a wash I love P&S Bead Maker. That stuff is magic. Like teflon coating your car and easier to wash next time and adds quite the shine. Doesn't matter if you get it on anything....glass, plastic, wheels, etc. Just wipe on a small section at a time and wipe off.