1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keith Olbermann responds to the Military Commissions Act

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by VinceDee, Oct 20, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

Read the text or watch the video:
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/101906L.shtml

[​IMG]

Olbermann Addresses the Military Commissions Act in a Special Comment
    By Keith Olbermann
    MSNBC Countdown

Wednesday 18 October 2006

We have lived as if in a trance.

We have lived as people in fear.

And now - our rights and our freedoms in peril - we slowly awake to learn that we have been afraid of the wrong thing.

Therefore, tonight have we truly become the inheritors of our American legacy.

For, on this first full day that the Military Commissions Act is in force, we now face what our ancestors faced, at other times of exaggerated crisis and melodramatic fear-mongering:

A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from.

etc, etc....there's alot more and it's worth reading. Click the link.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

(Mods don't like it when we cut & paste entire articles -- just put the link, maybe extract a few sentences.)

This was an excellent broadcast - saw it Wednesday night. Kieth has been doing these about once a week for the past month or two. Brilliant writing.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I had no idea national commerical tv was capable of this sort of essay.

VERY nice.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

5. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Oct 20 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]335851[/snapback]</div>
    Olbermann's show, Countdown, is on MSNBC, a cable channel.

None of the regular 'over-the-air' commercial broadcast networks is ever going to run a Olbermann piece, unless he (or someone else) does a lot of watering-down and censoring of the content.

Although it would nice to think differently, an unfiltered national Olbermann show probably would be about as successful as Limbaugh was when he tried spouting his radical, crackpot, right-wing theories on his short-lived, nationally-syndicated television show.

6. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 20 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]335846[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, didn't know that. It's been edited now. :)

Vince

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

He's doing another special comment tonight - on Republican anti-terror campaign ads.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 20 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]335831[/snapback]</div>
    He is still in search of ratings and obviously does not understand the legislation that was passed by both Democrats and Republicans.

Keith still has all his liberties - obviously.

What rights and freedoms we as Americans have are in peril currently?

Heck, our ancestors in times of war hung the enemy (FDR) who we caught spying. And now Keith wants them to have the same rights as Americans who they are trying to kill. Both parties steered clear of that association. And all the POW's we caught - how best to handle them? How would he like us to process tens of thousands of POW's - each one gets a lawyer and a trial date???

And what is keith affraid of? I am not affraid, my friends are doing ok too. the only fear we had was when we let the terrorists roam the countryside plotting and planning to kill us.

I would like to ask Keith one question - Lynn Stewart who was CONVICTED of aiding and abetting a terrorist who plotted and planned and carried out WTC I in 1993 got a whopping 28 months behind bars. Keith, do you think that was a fair sentence for someone convicted of aiding a known and convicted terrorist?

Anyhow, I love listening to him rant and rave and watch as msnbc sinks lower and lower. one day they will get someone who can actually attract a real audience.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]336821[/snapback]</div>
    Stop it with the lies dbermanmd. Democrats voted against the Military Commissions Act by 3:1 in the Senate and 5:1 in the House. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Comm...e_in_the_Senate

10. valschmidt

valschmidt Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 23 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]336852[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Dragonfly.

dbermanmd, Sounds like you are an MD. What's your real name? Dr. Mengele? Since when doctors support torture? Don't you understand that the Military Commissions Act is the beginning of Fascism?

When you and your friends are declared 'enemy combatants' by our Moron in Chief and are dragged off to Gitmo, then you will sqeal 'HABEAS CORPUS'. I hope as an MD you know some Latin.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(valschmidt @ Oct 23 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]336874[/snapback]</div>
    U R sick. You think we are torturing these guys like mengele? And the MCA is not the beginning of fascism. Our civil courts are not designed to handle the legal prosesuction of enemy combatants. You believe they should have habeus corpus rights? Not one President ever did including FDR, Truman, etc. And obviously you do not understand that that right has not been taken away from american citizens - has it?

I wish you were as concerned with our POW's who end up getting tortured and murdered all the time.

12. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 20 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]335846[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Concisely written, and passionately delivered. Keith Olbermann is a brave journalist. I hope his papers are in order :unsure: