1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keith Olbermann's my hero

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Sep 28, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Just had to say something about this guy. The past 3 weeks or so his program has become more than a funny news show. He's become a real force... he's even starting to get threats.

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 28 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]325193[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. His closing monologue a couple of nights ago was as clear and forceful as anything I have ever seen in live TV. He got his name into my Record list on the DVR.

3. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tuesday night's "special commentary" regarding the Bush administration and the war on terror was as riveting as anything I've seen on television since the Watergate hearings. The difficulty is that Olbermann has committed the same error as Fox, albeit on a different side of the equation, he let his opinion enter into his broadcast. Facts shouldn't need a target audience. The credibility of Fox is hindered by their never ending pro-Republican stance, now MSNBC makes the same mistake on the left (or atleast left of center). IMHO the only person left in "broadcast journalism", which is a term without definition, with any credibility is Tim Russert.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 28 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]325193[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to hear it. He had to do something to try to get himself out of the basement of the ratings. I think you and the other people posting on this topic here at priuschat who enjoy his show represent about 10% of his viewing audiance. Last I heard about mr olbermann he had won some type of beauty contest. now he has re-invented himself again - now as an expert on geopolitics. i wonder what he next metamorphosis will be when he sees his ratings go down even lower - if that is possible.

if he were smart he would go where the demographics are - and try to attract the conservative base which not only has a greater number of potential viewers but has a significantly higher birthrate over liberals in this country. i read an article that within the next 20 years given the current reproduction rates of liberals vs. conservative (the former not having children and the later having lots of them) the proportion of libs vs conservatives will be around 40% vs 60% instead of the current 48% to 52% deficit.

i still do not know why he is attacking bush like that - it is not like he is going to run for office. he should divert his attention to some potential republican candidates like rudy or mclame or frist or mitt - imagine if bush could beat the dems --twice -- what is it going to be like when the repubs run someone who can actually speak in public and think on his feet -- i would find that very worrisome if i were a dem. and if hilary is the dem candidate - game over boys and girls - i heard rove has already donated to her campaign fund -- jeez with negative numbers that are consistantly over 40% that would be like gift wrapping it for the repubs.

run keith run

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546 @ Sep 28 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]325379[/snapback]</div>
    Well MSNBC also has Scarborough Country and Hardball so if anything the network leans right.

Furthmore, Olbermann gets his facts right, and on rare occasion that he makes a mistake, he corrects it on the next broadcast. This is very, very different from the way FOX does business.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 28 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]325388[/snapback]</div>
    According to Wikipedia: "The show's ratings have increased by 41% in the last year."

How's FOX doing?

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    dberman,

Since when was being "liberal" or "conservative" a heriditary trait? Are you sure you're really a qualified doctor?

I'd expect any child of yours to be extremely tempted in becoming a left-wing activist just to wind you up.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Sep 29 2006, 05:16 AM) [snapback]325475[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about that - my 20 year old (# 2 child) spent this last summer as an intern at the Heritage Foundation and actually had two articles published in the press - one was a lead story on foxnews.com. He is a conservative too - not a republican. And one of my four kids could turn out to be a lib - even my children are allowed to make mistakes once in a while :D That type of error is usually corrected by the third or fourth decade in life when they start paying real taxes and having old enough kids of their own.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 28 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]325409[/snapback]</div>
    I would be interested in seeing mr olbermann's latest ratings - the last i saw he was dead last or neck to neck in that spot with hardball. fox's ratings are 300% greater than msnbc's last time i looked - and you are correct in that msnbc is using olbermann to serve as ballast to their other shows. And remember fox does not have the same audiance potential as does msnbc - my son spent last year getting fox's cable channel opened up at his college where they had al-jazeera and cnn and msnbc but not fox.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't confuse shows like O'berman's and O'Reily with a pure news show like Meet The Press. Tim Russert's show is a pure news interview show where it's not "correct etiqute" for the show's host to have an opion like the other shows. That being said I'd love to meet Tim Russert in a bar and have a beer with him to see what he really thinks of a lot of things, he's one person who's opinion I would really respect.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Sep 29 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]325708[/snapback]</div>
    I think Russert is one of the best. It really is hard to see a bias with him, and his interviews about his book about his father revealed him to be a thoughtful, insightful guy.

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 28 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]325388[/snapback]</div>
    Whew! It's a relief to see that you aren't TOTALLY blind.

But your backhanded insult to Mr. Bush does raise a question: if even YOU, his fiercest apologist, find Mr. Bush's public persona less than statesmanlike, with a country brimful of eligible conservatives back in 2000, what was it about the bumbling Mr. Bush that made him more attractive than all those other conservatives who, in addition to holding all the approved conservative beliefs, CAN speak eloquently in public and think intelligently on their feet? I mean, why did the Republicans go out of their way to field a head of state who, if not actually stupid, gives every appearance of being so, when so many other qualified conservatives could fulfill the job WITHOUT looking like abject morons?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA