1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood KSC-SW1 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by andrewsilver, Jul 13, 2007.

1. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just installed the Kenwood KSC-SW1 Subwoofer to my stock JBL premium system. So far so good, but the sound is a bit muddy.

I used the JBL amp rear speaker output lines to connect to the sub. Has anyone tried using the line level outputs from the head unit instead? I'm wondering if the sound might be a bit crisper.

Thx.

2. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andrewsilver @ Jul 13 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]478172[/snapback]</div>
    I just had one installed at Best Buy. Before you look for wiring solutions try turning down the bass and mid-range on your equalizer. A little bit helps allot. Your subwoofer crossover might also be set to high with too much bass still being routed through the door speakers. Try playing with that control a little bit. I also set the front-rear control to have a little more emphasis on the rear speakers. In addition turning down the treble a little takes the shrillness out of the tweeters without really losing any of the highs. Last but not least, try disconnecting the middle speaker. This should help reduce the muddy sound and increase your actual stereo effect. After tweaking the controls I found the system to be pretty good. Once you add a little road noise even the most sophisticated systems suffer a little. If none of the above helps then I guess it is time to look at the way you have it wired in. I can't help you with that, don't have any apptitude for that type of thing

3. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks lowbone. I agree, and have done pretty much everything you described including disconnecting the center speaker. It is pretty good as it stands - I was just trying to see if it would be even better if I tried the line outputs instead of the speaker level outputs to connect to the sub. I read in another post somewhere that another person bought a $20 speaker-level-to-line-level device at Circuit City and then plugged the line-level into the sub for better control over the sound. But overall I'm not complaining - for what I'm looking for this is pretty good... ;)

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My sub is picking the signal from the L & R back doors.
    Had it installed by pro's. A 12" (overkill, should have used an 8")

That way, keeping the same volume, I can fade front or rear to control how much boom I want.

My problem is not muddy, sounds great. It's plastic rattle, especially front passenger side.

5. HYPERPRIUS888

HYPERPRIUS888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I ordered the KENWOOD KSC-SW1 DUAL 6.5" POWERED ENCLOSED SUBWOOFER which I plan to put under the front seats. I have NAV so I am not sure it will fit under the Drivers seat. I need detailed photos and exact wire locations and colors to pick up my signal and power for an 'O6 Prius. Thanks for any help.