1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood Mini-Sub

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dgstan, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dgstan

dgstan Member

Since I'm not trying to rattle my fillings, I thought this might be a good subwoofer for the Prius. It's small enough to fit under the hatch area. It had some decent reviews on Crutchfield (although they no longer offer it).

Kenwood KSC-WA62RC

I picked one up on EBay new for $155 +shipping. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

I'm still not sure how to get power to it. I just want it to get power when the car is on (ACC and Ready). Where's the best place to tap into switched power (I have the Premium JBL w/ 6 disc)? I don't know if this unit has the power trigger that was mentioned on a previous thread.

Thanks,

DGStan

2. dgstan

dgstan Member

Any thoughts?

Where's the best place to pull power? I have the upgraded JBL.

Thanks

DGStan

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I can't think of any places in the hatch area for ACC signal. There are quite a few in the front, including the outlets.

On JBL amp, ACC is grey wire, pin 12 on S15

4. dgstan

dgstan Member

OK, it's in.

First, thanks to all who've done audio upgrades and shared their experiences. It really helps me psyche myself up for these types of things. And thanks especially to DanMan for all his wisdom.

The Kenwood w00x sub sounds great! It fits perfectly in the under-hatch area. It comes with a real nifty wired remote to allow you to dial it in while sitting in the driver's seat. Initially, I had the unit sitting out on top of the hatch while I was wiring it up and testing it out. I was not impressed - it sounded way too quiet. However, once I mounted it under the hatch, it really came alive. I was afraid that putting it enclosed would muffle the sound further, but the opposite happened. It really rocks.

It wants to get it's power directly off the battery, so it's nice to have the battery in the rear. It has another lead that tells it when to power up, which I hooked up to the 12V power outlet in the front passenger dash area (per Dan's suggestion).

I picked up the audio signal as it comes out of the amp. I connected to both rear speakers. I tried to utilize the center speaker signal, but it didn't work. It doesn't make any sense, but perhaps that signal is stepped down and is insufficient to drive the sub (or maybe there's a crossover that filters out any lows going to that rinky-dink speaker).

All the wires were very easily hidden, and I went the extra mile to rout the sub controller up into the center console and into the little drawer at the front of the console.

This upgrade is definitely worth it. The difference is night and day. This is what the "upgraded" JBL should sound like from the factory.

DGStan

Here's a couple snapshots:

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Nice little project! I too have been very pleased with my sub additions to the base radio (non-jbl). They really make a nice difference in sound quality. I built two custom boxes for two small 6" panasonic subs, and put the amp in the rear cargo 'hold'. Everything out of sight outa mind, but the sound is much better. Plus I wired in a "bass" knob to control the level going to the sub amp. I put it in the blank panel next to the dimmer on the dash. I should post pics someday...hmmm...Love my Prius!

6. ifogel

ifogel New Member

finman,

How diyou hook up the subs to the base radio?

I just bought the Kenwood and want to install to my Prius with base radio.

Thanks

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I grabbed the rear speaker wires as they come out of the rear door jambs. I pulled the rear door panels to access the speakers, to determine the color of the speaker wires (as well as positive and negative), then followed them thru the door jamb boot, down the B pillar, and tagged them in the rear door sill area.
    These signals I ran thru a low-level adapter (speaker level in, RCA out). I then ran the rca cables thru a simple volume control (to control the level of signal going to the amp, thus controlling bass), then on to the amp in the back.

Power comes directly off the + terminal of the 12 volt battery in the back, ground is connected to the 10 mm bolt that is attached right next to the - battery post.

I triggered the amp thru a relay from the gray ACC wire at the back of the radio. There isn't a nice turn-on lead from the basic radio (the power antenna lead does not output anything), so ACC is best you can do.

It wasn't horribly complex, pretty much like adding anything aftermarket to a OEM stock system. If ya need more info on the little volume knob thing, let me know. I really like the ability to control bass for different CDs, etc. It is an optional step.

Cheers!

8. ifogel

ifogel New Member

Thanks....

9. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was under the impression that the rear battery should not be used to power any audio and that power should come from the front of the car. I though that this battery was used only for starting the car IF the hybrid battery system was depleted.

Is using a direct connection to this rear battery safe or will it cause problems?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, it is used like any other car battery, EXCEPT to turn over the ICE. MG1 using the HV battery does that.

The inverter does have a DC/DC converter changing 206V from the HV battery to 13.8/14V to the 12V electrical system. It can only do this in READY mode. In ACC/Ig-On mode, you are running of the Aux battery exclusively.

Connecting to any high current 12V line is fine, including the battery itself. Try to tap after the 150A fusable link, but if you have your own fuse, that shouldn't be a problem. You should have one in either case anyway.

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    There are actually TWO rear batteries, none up front under the hood. One is a 12 volt lead-acid (small, like 400 amps? someone help me here), sized like a motorcycle battery, used to boot the car and the hybrid system. The other is the main or hybrid or traction or big battery, whatever you like to call it, sized like an old horizontal desktop computer, made of NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride). NOT the place to connect aftermarket goodies! It propels the car by powering the electric motor. DanMan32 has all the other info for ya...

12. alexandreb

alexandreb New Member

I have installed this sub too am I am very pleased with it. As I have the "basic" audio system, I have not the JBL external amplifier and plenty room left under the passager seat. Power is coming from the front power outlet, and the bolt located at the back of the seat (just remove a plastic cover). For the input source I have hooked the speakers from the pilars with strap on. In the pictures you can see the ipod adapter using the same power.

Alexandre.

13. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan\";p=\"69817)</div>
    I think the KSC-WA62RC has been replaced by the KSC-SW1

[​IMG]

It has larger woofer size (6.5" instead of 5.25"), more powerful amp (75w instead of 2x 30w), and size is comparable, so this one should also fit in the under hatch area.

Hm ... very tempting.

More info here: Crutchfield Kenwood KSC-SW1

14. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, there is an updated model. I ordered one last week the first day I saw them posted at www.audioallies.com. I got it for $166. The next day they upped the price to $199. Most places are charging well above that. It arrived on Friday, now I just need to hook it up.

I checked it under the seat and it might be a bit tight, so I think I'll go with the under hatch floor installation. Thanks to others for all the great info.

15. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Crutchfield just told me that the SW1 is not a direct replacement for the WA62RC. It has slightly different measurements. It is 5/8" wider, 5/8" less for the height, and 13/16" deeper. Please post here once you have it installed. I will hold off getting one until I hear from you. Thanks.

16. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I just had the WA62RC installed this past weekend under the passenger seat and it fit perfectly. I don't know if there would have been enough room for any more length. Any more width would have either covered over the air flow vents pointed at the rear passenger seats or the device would be sticking out from under the seat into the passenger compartment.

The bass produced by the WA62RC is more than enough for my needs. The standard radio now has a more realistic open sound, it's finally a stereo that I can live with.

I can get the subwoofer to thump the entire car if I want to and maybe more power would make the thump bigger and cleaner but I don't run it that high so my bottom line review is that the WA62RC gave me just want I needed and wanted and fit neatly under the passenger seat with no wires showing and no new holes made in the Prius interior.

I would be interested in hearing how the newer subwoofer works.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How was this unit anchored under the floor?

Did you tap the wires with Scotch-lock type taps at the amp, or was there a plug adapter?

I'm looking for something like this to round out my base as well.

18. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I didn't do the installation but I know there was some sort of plug adapter included.

I'm not quite sure how the installer secured it. I know that metal parts were included for a number of different methods of securing the subwoofer to the car.

19. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I tried to fit the new SW1 under the front seats and it's just a hair too long. That extra 5/8" of width is too much. I'm going for the under hatch installation where there is plenty of room. I'm thinking about paying to get it done. If so, I'll do that Friday.

20. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I had the installation done at Best Buy in Secaucus, NJ. I supplied the subwoofer and they just supplied labor - the labor cost $87 for a great job.