1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood Sub Install -- Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zonker, Apr 22, 2006.

1. zonker

zonker New Member

Hi. I got some good help from a Priuschat member about installing the KSC-SW1 that everyone seems to be getting (in the space under the trunk), but I can't get in touch with him now, and I've got a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to tap into both the left and right rear speakers to get all the bass signal, or would one do it?

2. How do I run the wires so that they're out of sight? I see no obvious point of exit from the trunk area that would let me thread it through anything. I'm assuming you guys didn't rip out the upholstery?

3. Once I've got it in, I assume I want to use the audio controls to favor the treble over the bass, and then compensate by increasing the volume on the sub to the appropriate level to "fill". Is this correct? And if so, how much should I tip it towards the treble?

4. For those who installed the Infinity speakers in the door -- do you like them? I had a guy at Circuit City tell me that he did 6 Prius audio installs, and three of them went back to the stock system. So if it's a real improvement, I'd love to hear about it (and how much does it add over the sub alone?)

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't have that sub, but I'll try to answer your questions.

1. You should tap both the left and right channel since you don't want to miss out on any part of the signal since the bass could be going through either channel.

2. The storage bin should have a small cover you can pop off on the side closest to the hatch. The wires can go through that hole. You can run the wires down the passenger side by removing the covers on the door sill.

3. I would make adjustments to the sub with a flat EQ. Play something that has a good frequency range, and something that doesn't exploit the bass too much. This'll allow for room to adjust the bass and treble later for those songs that need it.

4. Not sure if you have the JBL system, but the Infinitys should be a good upgrade. It'll definately blow away the non-JBL speakers. I used the Infinity 605CS components for a little while and they were definately clearer sounding than the JBLs.