1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood SW1 & Infinity 6010's in '05 JBL Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kpauley, Nov 19, 2006.

1. kpauley

kpauley New Member

I've been accumulating some speakers as I have read through the various topics on speaker upgrades and have purchased two sets of Infinity 6010CS' and one of the Kenwood SW1 subwoofers. I haven't received everything yet and once I do I plan on putting it in quickly :)

Anyway, I have heard various schools of thought around how to wire this stuff up throughout the different threads. I have the JBL setup today, so putting the Infinity separates in the front and rear doors should not be an issue.

The question is how do I drive the speakers?
    1) Take everything off the rear output? I don't think there's enough power to drive the front and rear doors, but I'm listing it...
    2) Power the front speakers off the rear output using the Inifinity xovers, then use the front output for the rear doors using the built in xover and finally output the sub off the rear channel as well?
    3) Use the front outputs for the front speakers, rear for the rear (and sub)?
    4) Another option?
    5) If I've gone this far, maybe just add a 4 channel amp?

Interested in opinions as well as hearing from those that have similar configurations and know what worked well for them....

Ken

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say first just wire it up like it is (front for front, rear for rear)... it's a LOT easier, as all the wires already go to the right places. for the sub, i'd definitely power it through an amp, and tap the rear speakers for it (you can see my guide for how i did it if you're unsure how to do this). The taps don't draw much, if anything, so you don't have anything to really worry about as far as thats concerned.

Once you get those in, see how it sounds. the great part about this is that it can be done in pieces and stages without any additional trouble.

If it doesn't sound as good to you as you'd like it, then you can add in a separate amp, cleansweep, and whatever else Doc put in his. The amp can be stuck in and the wires just run to there the current amp is and tap in there (for input and output) without having to take the doors apart again or anything.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The Kenwood SW1 senses two stereo channels and has a built-in amplifier; it does not rob power. You can add the sensing wires to either pair (front or rear) which you prefer to play louder.

Anyone changing door speakers ought to at least consider adding sound deadening material while you have the panels open.