1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood-SWI-JACK notes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sundevil, Jan 10, 2010.

1. sundevil

sundevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just finished my install and thought I would list a few things I found helpful from this and other forums I found on the internet. Many of you may already know this, but being somewhat of a novice at installation I found it helpful.

1) If you are using and SWI-JACK you do not have to cut wires on the Toyota steering wheel plug (pins 6, 7 and 8 for the Kenwood). I just bought some crimp pins from Radio Shack and used the wires from the SWI-JACK which were not used. Thought this would make it easier if I wanted to put the old unit back in.

2) According to many sources on the internet just ground the brake wire so that you don't have to be in park to use the video function. No need to by a "video bypass" cable or whatever. Don't know if there is an actual law that prohibits having the video function running on the dash or just a CYA thing for the companies making the units.

3) You will probably need a long extension to get a couple of the bolts out that are securing the head unit.

4) Putting the XM box and Ipod in the glove compartment work great.