1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kevin Costner Announces That BP Will Use His Oil-Cleanup Machines

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by eaglesight333, Jun 12, 2010.

1. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does this not inspire great confidence in me?

What is Costner doing with Oil Clean Up Machines? Shouldn't he be converting a corn field into a baseball diamond or something?

3. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this is a step in the right direction . . . . . .
    Learned just the other day that Exxon with their spill threw $2billion on their clean-up efforts and that barely put a dent in the mess.....cleaning up less than 10% of the spill.

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever see Waterworld? Water and Kevin Costner do NOT mix.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That was a bad, bad movie. It had so much promise.

Tom

6. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sad when two Hollywood types (Kevin Costner and James Cameron) have to offer up their services to help an oil company clean up their own mess.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Again, the legal eagles at BP don't want to invest in such technology due to the perceived legal "optics."

In other words, the legal eagles would fear that investing in such technology would be the same as admitting there is a problem

Perhaps the BP legal team should be on the stage at the next shareholders meeting. That should be fun to watch

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting P.O.V. and makes just enough "crazy" legal sense that I can unfortunately believe it.

However investing in technology that helps clean up, prevent or fix an oil spill IMO ideally should be required or encouraged from Oil Companies.

If fear of looking like they might have a problem keeps companies from investing in technology that aides in the operaton of their business and or the creation of their product then something is wrong.

Would an automaker (Like Toyota) be discouraged from offering Dynamic Force Braking...because addition of that technology could be perceived as admitting current technology wasn't good enough?

Seems like that reality creates a fertile ground for stagnation and/or as we have seen...worse.

9. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you paid attention when this first came up, you would have learned Costner became interested in ocean clean up after making Waterworld. He found (not founded) a company that had some technology to separate oil from water and provided much needed cash. Seems like a liberal Hollywood type that actually put his money where his mouth is. I would applaud this behavior for anyone.

10. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Actually James Cameron went on the Today Show last week (or maybe two weeks ago) to say how his comments had been taken completely out of context.

He said that at first it appeared to him that things were being bungled, but once he took a look at the details (specifically the engineering challenges), he quickly revised his view.

James Cameron says BP 'morons' comment 'taken out of context', wants to help fix Gulf oil spill

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they should try everything. Let's get someone out there with a giant roll of paper towels. Let's use snow shovels to skim it up off the surface. Let's put vinegar on it, and then drag lettuce through it. Whatever it takes, okay? :huh:

12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you on this! I'm even for standing over the spill and yelling "Hey Kool-Aid!" Maybe a Giant Pitcher will show up?

I was just kidding earlier...I don't care if the answers come from Costner...

1 person likes this.
  13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +100000000

The guy actually put his money into renewable energy investments.

14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I rather liked it, other than the parts he was in. Same thing with the Postman and Dances with Wolves.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Usually "Hollywood Star" + "Political Issue of the Day" = Barf time. But in this case he was supporting a very mundane issue until the spill occurred. The part I worry about is that the engineers and technical types that do the heavy lifting of making this viable will forever be overshadowed by the total media attention on Costner.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Been there, done that, barely escaped with my sanity almost intact

I just love vinegar on my salad

As an engineer I not only expect that to happen, I'm ok with it too. As long as nobody starts ranting that the "engineers are in charge" and are "clueless"

Because as I have pointed out in other threads, not only are the engineers NOT in charge, they are NOT clueless

Just disenfranchised

1 person likes this.