1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kevlar belt LRR tires ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jon Hagen, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone make a kevlar belt LRR tire for my Prius ?

I live in the country and must drive miles of gravel roads that are gravled with hard sharp crushed rock. This road material is very hard on steel belt tires, while the Kelly Springfield kevlar belt tires i ran years ago just shrugged off the sharp rock bits, never a problem, I could run them until the tread was totally gone. Kevlar is very tough, the stuff they use in bullet proof vests.

Steel belt tires start to have belt failures at 50% + tread wear or sooner.
    A tire company guy told me the problem is that those sharp rock chips slice little cuts in the tread, right down to the steel belts, which exposes them to water and salt. The belts rust and break in those areas.

I see kevlar belt tires are still made, but any in the little 195-15 and LRR ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I find the Kelly (Springfield) site, it is a division of Goodyear. Only one tire they sell mentions steel belts, and none mention LRR. You could ask if any are kevlar belted, they make several tires in your Prius size.

Kelly Tires | Search By Vehicle | Results

The Explorer Plus is steel belted

Not having to buy new tires repeatedly will save more than LRR 1 to 2 MPG.